World Library  

Project Gutenberg Consortia Center

Project Gutenberg is the first and largest single collection of free electronic books, or eBooks. Michael Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg, invented eBooks in 1971 and continues to inspire the creation of eBooks and related technologies today.

• Cover Image

War and Peace

By: Leo Tolstoy, Graf

Chapter I. ?Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don?t tell me that this means war, if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by that Antichrist- I really believe he is Antichrist- I will have nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer my ?faithful slave,? as you call yourself! But how do you do? I see I have frightened you- sit down and tell me all the news.?

Read More
  • Cover Image

Mrs. Warren's Profession

By: George Bernard Shaw

The Author?s Apology: Mrs. Warren?s Profession has been performed at last, after a delay of only eight years; and I have once more shared with Ibsen the triumphant amusement of startling all but the strongest-headed of the London theatre critics clean out of the practice of their profession. No author who has ever known the exultation of sending the Press into an hysterical tumult of protest, of moral panic, of involuntary and frantic confession of sin, of a horror of co...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Our War with Spain for Cuba's Freedom Including a Description and ...

By: Trumbull White

Introduction: When, on the 22d day of April, 1898, Michael Mallia, gun-captain of the United States cruiser Nashville, sent a shell across the bows of the Spanish ship Buena Ventura, he gave the signal shot that ushered in a war for liberty for the slaves of Spain. The world has never seen a contest like it. Nations have fought for territory and for gold, but they have not fought for the happiness of others. Nations have resisted the encroachments of barbarism, but until...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The War Terror

By: Arthur B. Reeve

Introduction: As I look back now on the sensational events of the past months since the great European War began, it seems to me as if there had never been a period in Craig Kennedy?s life more replete with thrilling adventures than this. In fact, scarcely had one mysterious event been straightened out from the tangled skein, when another, even more baffling, crowded on its very heels.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Buddhist Psalms

By: Shinran Shonin

It is a singular fact that though many of the earlier Buddhist Scriptures have been translated by competent scholars, comparatively little attention has been paid to later Buddhist devotional writings, and this although the developments of Buddhism in China and Japan give them the deepest interest as reflecting the spiritual mind of those two great countries. They cannot, however, be understood without some knowledge of the faith which passed so entirely into their life ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Buddhist Psalms

By: Shinran Shonin

Introduction: It is a singular fact that though many of the earlier Buddhist Scriptures have been translated by competent scholars, comparatively little attention has been paid to later Buddhist devotional writings, and this although the developments of Buddhism in China and Japan give them the deepest interest as reflecting the spiritual mind of those two great countries. They cannot, however, be understood without some knowledge of the faith which passed so entirely in...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Sir Walter Scott and the Border Minstrelsy

By: Andrew Lang

Preface: Persons not much interested in, or cognisant of, ?antiquarian old womanries,? as Sir Walter called them, may ask ?what all the pother is about,? in this little tractate. On my side it is ?about? the veracity of Sir Walter Scott. He has been suspected of helping to compose, and of issuing as a genuine antique, a ballad, Auld Maitland. He also wrote about the ballad, as a thing obtained from recitation, to two friends and fellow-antiquaries. If to Scott?s knowledg...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Shelley

By: Sydney Waterlow

In the case of most great writers our interest in them as persons is derived from out interest in them as writers; we are not very curious about them except for reasons that have something to do with their art. With Shelley it is different. During his life he aroused fears and hatreds, loves and adorations, that were quite irrelevant to literature; and even now, when he has become a classic, he still causes excitement as a man. His lovers are as vehement as ever. For the...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Waste Land

By: T. S. Eliot

THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD. APRIL is the cruelest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain. Winter kept us warm, covering Earth in forgetful snow, feeding A little life with dried tubers. Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade, and went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten, 10 And drank coffee, and talked for an hour. Bin gar keine Russin, stamm? a...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Waste Land

By: T. S. Eliot

THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD. April is the cruelest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain. Winter kept us warm, covering Earth in forgetful snow, feeding A little life with dried tubers. Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade, and went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten, 10 And drank coffee, and talked for an hour. Bin gar keine Russin, stamm? a...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Webster's Seventh of March Speech, And the Secession Movement

By: Herbert Darling Foster

Foreword: It is very curious that much of the history of the United States in the Forties and Fifties of the last century has vanished from the general memory. When a skilled historian reopens the study of Webster?s ?Seventh of March speech? it is more than likely that nine out of ten Americans will have to cudgel their wits endeavoring to make quite sure just where among our political adventures that famous oration fits in. How many of us could pass a satisfactory exami...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Washington Square Plays

By: Various
Read More
  • Cover Image

Some Poems by Sir Walter Scott

By: Sir Walter Scott

Since there is room in this volume for more verses than Colonel Hay?s (1), I have added to them a few poems by Sir Walter Scott; the first written in 1811 at the time of the struggle with Napoleon in the Peninsula, the second in 1815, after Waterloo. Thus there is over all this volume a thin haze of battle through which we see only the finer feelings and the nobler hopes of man. The day is to come when war shall be no more, but wars have been and may again be necessary t...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Shakespeare's Sonnets

By: William Shakespeare

From fairest creatures we desire increase, That thereby beauty?s rose might never die, But as the riper should by time decease, His tender heir might bear his memory: But thou contracted to thine own bright eyes, Feed?st thy light?s flame with self-substantial fuel, Making a famine where abundance lies, Thy self thy foe, to thy sweet self too cruel: Thou that art now the world?s fresh ornament, and only herald to the gaudy spring, Within thine own bud buriest thy content...

Read More
  • Cover Image

A Wasted Day

By: Richard Harding Davis

A WASTED DAY. When its turn came, the private secretary, somewhat apologetically, laid the letter in front of the Wisest Man in Wall Street. ?From Mrs. Austin, probation officer, Court of General Sessions,? he explained. ?Wants a letter about Spear. He?s been convicted of theft. Comes up for sentence Tuesday.? ?Spear?? repeated Arnold Thorndike. ?Young fellow, stenographer, used to do your letters last summer going in and out on the train.? The great man nodded. ?I remem...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Westward Ho!

By: Charles Kingsley

Must needs know the little white town of Bideford, which slopes upwards from its broad tide-river paved with yellow sands, and many-arched old bridge where salmon wait for autumn floods, toward the pleasant upland on the west. Above the town the hills close in, cushioned with deep oak woods, through which juts here and there a crag of fern-fringed slate; below they lower, and open more and more in softly rounded knolls, and fertile squares of red and green, till they sin...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge

By: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Singular Experience of Mr. John Scott Eccles. I find it recorded in my notebook that it was a bleak and windy day towards the end of March in the year 1892. Holmes had received a telegram while we sat at our lunch, and he had scribbled a reply. He made no remark, but the matter remained in his thoughts, for he stood in front of the fire afterwards with a thoughtful face, smoking his pipe, and casting an occasional glance at the message. Suddenly he turned upon me wit...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Stories of a Western Town the Besetment of Kurt Lieders the Face o...

By: Octave Thanet

There was a drabble of dead leaves on the sidewalk which was of wood, and on the roadway which was of macadam and stiff mud. The wind blew sharply, for it was a December day and only six in the morning. Nor were the houses high enough to furnish any independent bulwark; they were low, wooden dwellings, the tallest a bare two stories in height, the majority only one story. But they were in good painting and repair, and most of them had a homely gayety of geraniums or bouv...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Under Western Eyes

By: Joseph Conrad

If I have ever had these gifts in any sort of living form they have been smothered out of existence a long time ago under a wilderness of words. Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. I have been for many years a teacher of languages. It is an occupation which at length becomes fatal to whatever share of imagination, observation, and insight an ordinary person may be heir to. To a teacher of languages there comes a time when the world is but a place of m...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Under Western Eyes

By: Joseph Conrad

To begin with I wish to disclaim the possession of those high gifts of imagination and expression which would have enabled my pen to create for the reader the personality of the man who called himself, after the Russian custom, Cyril son of Isidor?Kirylo Sidorovitch?Razumov. If I have ever had these gifts in any sort of living form they have been smothered out of existence a long time ago under a wilderness of words. Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality...

Read More

|
|
|
|
Records: 10781 - 10800 of 10,918 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.