World Library  

Project Gutenberg Consortia Center

Project Gutenberg is the first and largest single collection of free electronic books, or eBooks. Michael Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg, invented eBooks in 1971 and continues to inspire the creation of eBooks and related technologies today.

• Cover Image

Water Springs

By: Arthur Christopher Benson

THE Scene. The bright pale February sunlight lay on the little court of Beaufort College, Cambridge, on the old dull-red smoke-stained brick, the stone mullions and moldings, the Hall oriel, the ivied buttresses and battlements, the turrets, the tiled roofs, the quaint chimneys, and the lead-topped cupola over all. Half the court was in shadow. It was incredibly picturesque, but it had somehow the look of a fortress rather than of a house. It did not exist only to be bea...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Water of the Wondrous Isles

By: William Morris

CATCH AT UTTERHAY: Whilom, as tells the tale, was a walled cheaping-town hight Utterhay, which was builded in a bight of the land a little off the great highway which went from over the mountains to the sea. The said town was hard on the borders of a wood, which men held to be mighty great, or maybe measureless; though few indeed had entered it, and they that had, brought back tales wild and confused thereof. Therein was neither highway nor byway, nor wood-reeve nor way-...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Smith and the Pharaohs, And Other Tales

By: Henry H. H. Rider Haggard

Arbuthnot Describes Himself. I suppose that I, Humphrey Arbuthnot, should begin this history in which Destiny has caused me to play so prominent a part, with some short account of myself and of my circumstances.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Wulf the Saxon : A Story of the Norman Conquest

By: G. A. Henty

Preface: Although the immediate results of the Battle of Hastings may have been of less importance to the world than were those of some other great battles, the struggle has, in the long run, had a greater influence upon the destiny of mankind than any other similar event that has ever taken place. That admixture of Saxon, Danish, and British races which had come to be known under the general name of English, was in most respects far behind the rest of Europe. The island...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Wuthering Heights

By: Emily Brontë

A nod was the answer. ?Mr. Lockwood, your new tenant, sir. I do myself the honor of calling as soon as possible after my arrival, to express the hope that I have not inconvenienced you by my perseverance in soliciting the occupation of Thrushcross Grange: I heard yesterday you had had some thoughts

Read More
  • Cover Image

Waverley Volume Xii

By: Sir Walter Scott

ADVERTISEMENT.? (1833.) Sir Walter Scott transmitted from Naples, in February, 1832, an Introduction for CASTLE DANGEROUS; but if he ever wrote one for a second Edition of ROBERT OF PARIS, it has not been discovered among his papers. Some notes, chiefly extracts from the books which he had been observed to consult while dictating this novel, are now appended to its pages; and in addition to what the author had given in the shape of historical information respecting the p...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Waverley, Volume I

Publishers? Note: It has long been the ambition of the present publishers to offer to the public an ideal edition of the writings of Sir Walter Scott, the great poet and novelist of whom William Hazlitt said, ?His works are almost like a new edition of human nature.? Secure in the belief not only that his writings have achieved a permanent place in the literature of the world, but that succeeding generations will prize them still more highly, we have, after the most care...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Waverley, Volume Ii

AN INCIDENT The dinner hour of Scotland Sixty Years Since was two o?clock. It was therefore about four o?clock of a delightful autumn afternoon that Mr. Gilfillan commenced his march, in hopes, although Stirling was eighteen miles distant, he might be able, by becoming a borrower of the night for an hour or two, to reach it that evening. He therefore put forth his strength, and marched stoutly along at the head of his followers, eyeing our hero from time to time, as if h...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Waverley

Introduction: (1829) The plan of this Edition leads me to insert in this place some account of the incidents on which the Novel of WAVERLEY is founded. They have been already given to the public, by my late lamented friend, William Erskine, Esq. (afterwards Lord Kinneder), when reviewing the ?Tales of My Landlord? for the QUARTERLY REVIEW, in 1817. The particulars were derived by the Critic from the Author?s information. Afterwards they were published in the Preface to t...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Waverley or 'Tis Sixty Years Hence

Publishers? Note: It has long been the ambition of the present publishers to offer to the public an ideal edition of the writings of Sir Walter Scott, the great poet and novelist of whom William Hazlitt said, ?His works are almost like a new edition of human nature.? Secure in the belief not only that his writings have achieved a permanent place in the literature of the world, but that succeeding generations will prize them still more highly, we have, after the most care...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Wild Wales

By: George Borrow

Introductory: WALES is a country interesting in many respects, and deserving of more attention than it has hitherto met with. Though not very extensive, it is one of the most picturesque countries in the world, a country in which Nature displays herself in her wildest, boldest, and occasionally loveliest forms. The inhabitants, who speak an ancient and peculiar language, do not call this region Wales, nor themselves Welsh. They call themselves Cymry or Cumry, and their c...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Weighed and Wanting

By: George Macdonald

This document contains chapters such as Bad Weather, Father, Mother And Son, and The Magic Lantern.

Read More
  • Cover Image

Who Was Who 5000 B. C. : To Date Biographical Dictionary of the Fa...

By: Irwin L. Gordon

Note: THE editor begs leave to inform the public that only persons who can produce proper evidence of their demise will be admitted to Who Was Who. Press Agent notices or complimentary comments are absolutely excluded, and those offering to pay for the insertion of names will be prosecuted. As persons become eligible they will be included without solicitation, while the pages will be expurgated of others should good luck warrant. Who Was Who contains over 500 biographies...

Read More
  • Cover Image

When We Dead Awaken

By: Henrik Ibsen

Introduction: From Pillars of Society to John Gabriel Borkman, Ibsen?s plays had followed each other at regular intervals of two years, save when his indignation over the abuse heaped upon Ghosts reduced to a single year the interval between that play and An Enemy of the People. John Gabriel Borkman having appeared in 1896, its successor was expected in 1898; but Christmas came and brought no rumour of a new play. In a man now over seventy, this breach of a long-establis...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Well at the World's End

By: William Morris

The Sundering of the Ways: Long ago there was a little land, over which ruled a regulus or kinglet, who was called King Peter, though his kingdom was but little. He had four sons whose names were Blaise, Hugh, Gregory and Ralph: of these Ralph was the youngest, whereas he was but of twenty winters and one; and Blaise was the oldest and had seen thirty winters.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Woman in White

By: Wilkie Collins

THE STORY BEGUN BY WALTER HARTRIGHT. This is the story of what a Woman?s patience can endure, and what a Man?s resolution can achieve. If the machinery of the Law could be depended on to fathom every case of suspicion, and to conduct every process of inquiry, with moderate assistance only from the lubricating influences of oil of gold, the events which fill these pages might have claimed their share of the public attention in a Court of Justice.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Wind in the Willows

By: Kenneth Grahame

THE RIVER BANK. The Mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring cleaning his little home. First with brooms, then with dusters; then on ladders and steps and chairs, with a brush and a pail of whitewash; till he had dust in his throat and eyes, and splashes of whitewash all over his black fur, and an aching back and weary arms. Spring was moving in the air above and in the earth below and around him, penetrating even his dark and lowly little house with its s...

Read More
  • Cover Image

A Woman's Way through Unknown Labrador

By: Mina Benson Hubbard (Mrs. Leonidas Hubbard, Junior)

Preface: This book is the result of a determination on my part to complete Mr. Hubbard?s unfinished work, and having done this to set before the public a plain statement, not only of my own journey, but of his as well. For this reason I have included the greater part of Mr. Hubbard?s diary, which he kept during the trip, and which it will be seen is published exactly as he wrote it, and also George Elson?s account of the last few days together, and his own subsequent efforts.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Way We Live Now

By: Anthony Trollope

THREE EDITORS. Let the reader be introduced to Lady Carbury, upon whose character and doings much will depend of whatever interest these pages may have, as she sits at her writing-table in her own room in her own house in Welbeck Street. Lady Carbury spent many hours at her desk, and wrote many letters wrote also very much beside letters. She spoke of herself in these days as a woman devoted to Literature, always spelling the word with a big L. Something of the nature of...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Title : The Wonder-Working Magician

By: Pedro Calderón de la Barca

Introduction: Two of the dramas contained in this volume are the most celebrated of all Calderon?s writings. The first, ?La Vida es Sueno,? has been translated into many languages and performed with success on almost every stage in Europe but that of England. So late as the winter of 1866-7, in a Russian version, it drew crowded houses to the great theatre of Moscow; while a few years earlier, as if to give a signal proof of the reality of its title, and that Life was in...

Read More

|
|
|
|
Records: 10821 - 10840 of 10,918 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.