World Library  

Project Gutenberg Consortia Center

Project Gutenberg is the first and largest single collection of free electronic books, or eBooks. Michael Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg, invented eBooks in 1971 and continues to inspire the creation of eBooks and related technologies today.

• Cover Image

Yankee Girl at Fort Sumter

By: Alice Turner Curtis

This document contains chapters such as Sylvia, A New Friend, Sylvia In Trouble, and An Unexpected Journey.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Yellow Fairy Book

Preface: The Editor thinks that children will readily forgive him for publishing another Fairy Book. We have had the Blue, the Red, the Green, and here is the Yellow. If children are pleased, and they are so kind as to say that they are pleased, the Editor does not care very much for what other people may say. Now, there is one gentleman who seems to think that it is not quite right to print so many fairy tales, with pictures, and to publish them in red and blue covers. ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Yollop

By: George Barr Mccutcheon

In the first place, Mr. Yollop knew nothing about firearms. And so, after he had overpowered the burglar and relieved him of a fully loaded thirty-eight, he was singularly unimpressed by the following tribute from the bewildered and somewhat exasperated captive: ?Say, ain?t you got any more sense than to tackle a man with a gun, you chuckle-headed idiot?? (Only he did not say ?chuckle-headed,? and he inserted several expletives between ?say? and ?ain?t.?)

Read More
  • Cover Image

Memoirs of Mr. Charles J. Yellowplush

By: William Makepeace Thackeray

Chapter I. I was born in the year one, of the present or Christian hera, and am, in consquints, seven-and-thirty years old. My mamma called me Charles James Harrington Fitzroy Yellowplush, in compliment to several noble families, and to a sellybrated coachmin whom she knew, who wore a yellow livry, and drove the Lord Mayor of London.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Mystery of the Yellow Room

By: Gaston Leroux

Chapter I. In Which We Begin Not to Understand. It is not without a certain emotion that I begin to recount here the extraordinary adventures of Joseph Rouletabille. Down to the present time he had so firmly opposed my doing it that I had come to despair of ever publishing the most curious of police stories of the past fifteen years. I had even imagined that the public would never know the whole truth of the prodigious case known as that of The Yellow Room, out of which ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

In Which We Begin Not to Understand. It is not without a certain emotion that I begin to recount here the extraordinary adventures of Joseph Rouletabille. Down to the present time he had so firmly opposed my doing it that I had come to despair of ever publishing the most curious of police stories of the past fifteen years. I had even imagined that the public would never know the whole truth of the prodigious case known as that of The Yellow Room, out of which grew so man...

Read More
  • Cover Image

In Which We Begin Not to Understand. It is not without a certain emotion that I begin to recount here the extraordinary adventures of Joseph Rouletabille. Down to the present time he had so firmly opposed my doing it that I had come to despair of ever publishing the most curious of police stories of the past fifteen years. I had even imagined that the public would never know the whole truth of the prodigious case known as that of The Yellow Room, out of which grew so man...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Smith and the Pharaohs, And Other Tales

By: Henry H. H. Rider Haggard

SAHARA LIMITED. Sir Robert Aylward, Bart., M.P., sat in his office in the City of London. It was a very magnificent office, quite one of the finest that could be found within half a mile of the Mansion House. Its exterior was built of Aberdeen granite, a material calculated to impress the prospective investor with a comfortable sense of security. Other stucco, or even brick-built, offices might crumble and fall in an actual or a financial sense, but this rock-like edific...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Yellow Wallpaper

By: Charlotte Perkins Gilman

A colonial mansion, a hereditary estate, I would say a haunted house, and reach the height of romantic felicity?but that would be asking too much of fate! Still I will proudly declare that there is something queer about it. Else, why should it be let so cheaply? And why have stood so long untenanted? John laughs at me, of course, but one expects that in marriage. John is practical in the extreme. He has no patience with faith, an intense horror of superstition, and he sc...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Yama (The Pit)

By: Alexandra Kuprin

Introduction: ?With us, you see,? Kuprin makes the reporter Platonov, his mouthpiece, say in Yama, ?they write about detectives, about lawyers, about inspectors of the revenue, about pedagogues, about attorneys, about the police, about officers, about sensual ladies, about engineers, about baritones?and really, by God, altogether well?cleverly, with finesse and talent. But, after all, all these people are rubbish, and their life is not life, but some sort of conjured up,...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Young Forester

By: Zane Grey

CHOOSING A PROFESSION. I loved outdoor life and hunting. Some way a grizzly bear would come in when I tried to explain forestry to my brother. ?Hunting grizzlies!? he cried. ?Why, Ken, father says you?ve been reading dime novels.? ?Just wait, Hal, till he comes out here. I?ll show him that forestry isn?t just bear-hunting.? My brother Hal and I were camping a few days on the Susquehanna River, and we had divided the time between fishing and tramping. Our camp was on the ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Young Adventure

By: Stephen Vincent Benet

Foreword: Tinker In these days when the old civilization is crumbling beneath our feet, the thought of poetry crosses the mind like the dear memory of things that have long since passed away. In our passionate desire for the new era, it is difficult to refrain oneself from the commonplace practice of speculating on the effects of warfare and of prophesying all manner of novel rebirths. But it may be well for us to remember that the era which has recently closed was itsel...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Sketches of Young Couples

By: Charles Dickens

THAT Her Most Gracious Majesty, Victoria, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen, Defender of the Faith, did, on the 23rd day of November last past, declare and pronounce to Her Most Honorable Privy Council, Her Majesty?s Most Gracious intention of entering into the bonds of wedlock. THAT Her Most Gracious Majesty, in so making known Her Most Gracious intention to Her Most Honorable Privy Council as aforesaid, did use and employ the ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Yankee Gypsies

By: John Greenleaf Whittier

I CONFESS IT, I am keenly sensitive to ?skyey influences.? (2) I profess no indifference to the movements of that capricious old gentleman known as the clerk of the weather. I cannot conceal my interest in the behavior of that patriarchal bird whose wooden similitude gyrates on the church spire. Winter proper is well enough. Let the thermometer go to zero if it will; so much the better, if thereby the very winds are frozen and unable to flap their stiff wings. Sounds of ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Young Knights of the Empire

By: Sir Robert Baden Powell

THE SCOUT LAW. Perhaps you wonder what is a Young Knight of the Empire. Well, you know what a knight is?or rather, used to be in the old days?a gallant fellow who was always ready to defend weaker people when they were being bullied; he was brave and honorable, and ready to risk his life in doing his duty according to the code or law of Chivalry.

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Young Carthaginian

By: G. A. Henty

MY DEAR LADS, When I was a boy at school, if I remember rightly, our sympathies were generally with the Carthaginians as against the Romans. Why they were so, except that one generally sympathizes with the unfortunate, I do not quite know; certainly we had but a hazy idea as to the merits of the struggle and knew but little of its events, for the Latin and Greek authors, which serve as the ordinary textbooks in schools, do not treat of the Punic wars. That it was a strug...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Yosemite

By: John Muir

The Approach to the Valley: When I set out on the long excursion that finally led to California I wandered afoot and alone, from Indiana to the Gulf of Mexico, with a plant-press on my back, holding a generally southward course, like the birds when they are going from summer to winter. From the west coast of Florida I crossed the gulf to Cuba, enjoyed the rich tropical flora

Read More
  • Cover Image

Youth

By: Joseph Conrad

We were sitting round a mahogany table that reflected the bottle, the claret-glasses, and our faces as we leaned on our elbows. There was a director of companies, an accountant, a lawyer, Marlow, and myself. The director had been a CONWAY boy, the accountant had served four years at sea, the lawyer?a fine crusted Tory, High Churchman, the best of old fellows, the soul of honor?had been chief officer in the P. & O. service in the good old days when mail-boats were square-...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Yet Again

By: Max Beerbohm

Till I gave myself the task of making a little selection from what I had written since last I formed a book of essays, I had no notion that I had put, as it were, my eggs into so many baskets?The Saturday Review, The New Quarterly, The New Liberal Review, Vanity Fair, The Daily Mail, Literature, The Traveller, The Pall Mall Magazine, The May Book, The Souvenir Book of Charing Cross Hospital Bazaar, The Cornhill Magazine, Harper?s Magazine, and The Anglo-Saxon Review...Ou...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Youth Challenges

By: Clarence B. Kelland

Chapter I. Bonbright Foote VI arose and stood behind the long table which served him as a desk and extended his hand across it. His bearing was that of a man taking a leading part in an event of historic importance. ?My son,? said he, ?it gratifies me to welcome you to your place in this firm.? Then he smiled. When Bonbright Foote VI smiled it was as though he said to himself, ?To smile one must do thus and so with the features,? and then systematically put into practice...

Read More

|
|
|
|
Records: 10881 - 10900 of 10,918 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.