|
|
|
|
Records: 1 - 40 of 1,343 - Pages: 
  • Cover Image

Tremendous Trifles

By: Chesterton, Gilbert Keith, 1874-1936

...... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... ...ng public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that suppor... ..........................................................................16 X. On Lying in Bed ......................................................... ...so lazy? Let us exercise the eye until it learns to see startling facts that run across the landscape as plain as a painted fence. Let us be ocular at... ...ectionately on the head with a mallet, “how far you really are from the pure love of the sport—you who can play. It is only we who play badly who love... ...you who can play. It is only we who play badly who love the Game itself. You love glory; you love applause; you love the earthquake voice of victory; ... ... policeman who lifts his hand to warn three omnibuses of the peril that they run in encountering my person, what is he but a shrub shaken for a moment... ... picture. I thought of a low and lonely house in the flats, behind a veil or film of slight trees, a man breaking the ground as men have broken from t...

...Preface: These fleeting sketches are all republished by kind permission of the Editor of the DAILY NEWS, in which paper they appeared. They amount to no more than a sort of sporadic diary?a diary recording one day in twenty which happened to stick in the fancy? the only kind of diary the author has ...

...Table of Contents: Tremendous Trifles, 1 -- G.K. Chesterton, 1 -- Preface, 2 -- I. Tremendous Trifles, 2 -- II. A Piece of Chalk, 3 -- III. The Secret of a Train, 5 -- IV. The Perfect Game, 7 -- V. The Extraordinary Cabman, 9 -- VI. An Accident, 10 -- VII. The Advantages of Having One Leg, 12 -- VIII. The End of the World, 14 -- IX. In the Place de La Bastille, 1...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Love on the Run

Encyclopedia Article

...Love on the Run may refer to: Love on the Run (1936 film), starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford ... ...Love on the Run may refer to: Love on the Run (1936 film), starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford ... ...Love on the Run may refer to: Love on the Run (1936 film), starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford ... ...Love on the Run may refer to: Love on the Run (1936 film), starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford ... ...ve on the Run may refer to: Love on the Run (1936 film), starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford ... ...936 film), starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford Love on the Run (1979 film), a French film directed by François Truffaut ... ...ilm), starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford Love on the Run (1979 film), a French film directed by François Truffaut ... ...), starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford Love on the Run (1979 film), a French film directed by François Truffaut ... ...tarring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford Love on the Run (1979 film), a French film directed by François Truffaut ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Tremendous Trifles

...... ..., and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educators ... ... public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that support ... ...r's eye strays, with hearty relief, from these pages, it probably alights on something, a bed-post or a lamp-post, a window blind or a wall. It is ... ...azy? Let us exercise the eye until it learns to see startling facts that run across the landscape as plain as a painted fence. Let us be ocular ... ...onately on the head with a mallet, "how far you really are from the pure love of the sport--you who can play. It is only we who play badly who lov... ...ho can play. It is only we who play badly who love the Game itself. You love glory; you love applause; you love the earthquake voice of victory; y... ...liceman who lifts his hand to warn three omnibuses of the peril that they run in encountering my person, what is he but a shrub shaken for a moment ... ...ture. I thought of a low and lonely house in the flats, behind a veil or film of slight trees, a man breaking the ground as men have broken from th...

...These fleeting sketches are all republished by kind permission of the Editor of the DAILY NEWS, in which paper they appeared. They amount to no more than a sort of sporadic diary?a diary recording one day in twenty which happened to stick in the fancy?the only kind of diary the author has e...

...Contents Chapter I Tremendous Trifles II A Piece of Chalk III The Secret of a Train IV The Perfect Game V The Extraordinary Cabman VI An Accident VII The Advantages of Having One Leg VIII The End of the World IX In the Place de la Bastille X On Lying in Bed XI The Twelve Men XII The Win...

Read More
  • Cover Image

1936 in film

Encyclopedia Article

... 1935 1936 1937 ... ... 1935 1936 1937 ... ... The year 1936 in film involved some significant events. ... ... 2. The Great Ziegfeld MGM ... ...owell and Myrna Loy Allá en el Rancho Grande (Out on the Great Ranch) (Mexico) The Amazing Quest of ... ...yes directed by Abdolhossein Sepanta (Iran) Blood on Wolf Mountain (Lang shan die xue ji) - (China) ... ...si Rosalind Russell It's Love Again, starring Jessie Matthews and Robert Young (GB) ... ...ddie Bartholomew, Madeleine Carroll, Tyrone Power Love Before Breakfast, starring Carole Lombard and Preston Foster ... ...ing Helen Vinson and Clive Brook (GB) Love on the Run. starring Joan Crawford and Clark Gable Man of...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Five Jars

By: James, M. R. (Montague Rhodes), 1862-1936

... Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: THE FIVE JARS Author: M. R. JAMES Language: English Subject: Fiction, Li... ...... ...ng public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that suppor... ...E A FORMER OWNER OF THE JARS . . 34 THE PILLARS OF MIST . . . .54 LIFE GOING ON MUCH AS USUAL . 70 THE CAT TAKES ACTION . . .94 THE OWL FAMILY . . .98... ...rger, and of course thinner, until they finally spread into a kind of silver film all over the bottom of the pool ; and as they did so the water began... ...wiser I find it is not to expect too much considera- tion from others ! Self-love ! how few, how terribly few, are really free from it ! The nature th... ...k. It was a face. I gazed at it in horror, and was just gathering my wits to run and call for help or something, when I saw that it was laughing. Then... ...ral sort of way with the people, 70 THE FIVE JARS and as it would not do to run any risk of startling them, I just took my place near the window and ... ...he forefinger out. Then " Gold ! ' said Wag. Gold stepped forward and made a lovely bow, which I returned with an inclination of my head, then took as...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Rose Marie (1936 film)

Encyclopedia Article

...-Mayer Release dates February 1, 1936 ... ... earnings)[1] $1,820,000 (Foreign earnings)[1] Rose Marie is a 1936 black-and-white musical film starr... ...musical film starring Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy and Reginald Owen and directed by W. S. Van Dyke. It was the second of three movie adaptations f... ...an Dyke. It was the second of three movie adaptations from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer of the 1924 Broadway musical of the same name. A silent version was rel... ...opped, the 1936 film was a huge success and became MacDonald and Eddy's best-known film. Their duet of "Indian Love Call" was a major hit for the two ... ... and sets off after her, knowing that she will lead him to Jack. Boniface and Marie travel on horseback to Hayman's Landing where ... ...ns to opera performance. She has the title role in the opera Tosca. She keeps imagining that she hears "Indian Love Call" throughout the opera and col... ... The Devil Is a Sissy (1936) Love on the Run (1936) ... ... The Devil Is a Sissy (1936) Love on the Run (1936) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Tales of the Long Bow

... LONG BOW by G. K. CHESTERTON Tales of the Long Bow G. K. Chesterton Chapter I. The Unpresentable Appearance of Co... ...apter I. The Unpresentable Appearance of Colonel Crane These tales concern the doing of things recognized as impossible to do; impossible to believe; ... ... The place was a straight suburban road of strictly-fenced suburban houses on the outskirts of a modern town. The time was about twenty minutes to ele... ...he outskirts of a modern town. The time was about twenty minutes to eleven on Sunday morning, when a procession of suburban families in Sunday clothes... ... things very rare and most things very dull. I can't help having fallen in love with you; but for all that we are in different worlds; and you belong ... ..."I deserve no better," he replied mournfully. "Well, I think I must be in love with you too," she replied calmly. "I don't see what time has to do wi... ...of the Protective Screen. Even if it were possible, he said, for some thin film of petrol to appear on the water, as it would not mix with the water t... ... our time is always utterly unpractical at the last minute and in the long run. On that night Robert Owen Hood would have been encouraged to go anywhe... ...ts repeated as a burden to his meditations the single line, `Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song.' "Rumours have been heard of some intention...

...These tales concern the doing of things recognized as impossible to do; impossible to believe; and, as the weary reader may well cry aloud, impossible to read about. Did the narrator merely say that they happened, without saying how they happene...

Read More
  • Cover Image

San Francisco (1936 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Release dates June 26, 1936 (1936-06-26) Runni... ...reign earnings)[1] San Francisco is a 1936 musical-drama directed by Woody Van Dyke, based on the April 18, 1906 ... ... San Francisco is a 1936 musical-drama directed by Woody Van Dyke, based on the April 18, 1906 San Francisco earthquake. The film, which was the top... ...San Francisco is a 1936 musical-drama directed by Woody Van Dyke, based on the April 18, 1906 San Francisco earthquake. The film, which was the top gr... ...of that year,[3] stars Clark Gable, Jeanette MacDonald, and Spencer Tracy. The then very popular singing of MacDonald helped make this film a hit, com... ...then very popular singing of MacDonald helped make this film a hit, coming on the heels of her other 1936 blockbuster, Rose Marie. The Internet Movie ... ...rformance Blackie visits Mary in her dressing room and realizing she still loves him, Mary asks him to marry her. Blackie agrees but their reunion is ... ...heir reunion is soon interrupted by Burley, who had earlier proclaimed his love for Mary and proposed to her. Blackie, seeing Burley as competition fo... ... Love on the Run (1936) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Home Book of Verse V2

By: Burton Egbert Stevenson

... Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: THE HOME BOOK OF VERSE, V2 Author: BURTON STEVENSON Language: English Su... ...... ...ng public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that suppor... ........................................................1 PART II. POEMS OF LOVE ....................................................................... .............................................................19 "NOW WHAT IS LOVE" ...................................................................... .............................................................................55 ON HAMPSTEAD HEATH ....................................................... ... that, Cassandra−like, Tells truth without belief; For headstrong Youth will run his race, Although his goal be grief: − Love's Martyr, when his heat ... ... there's no untying. Thomas Campbell [1777−1844] STANZAS Could Love for ever Run like a river, And Time's endeavor Be tried in vain − No other pleasur... ...onely heart and mine. I love my life, but not too well. Harriet Monroe [1860−1936] "THIS IS MY LOVE FOR YOU" I have brought the wine And the folded ra...

...Excerpt: Part II. POEMS OF LOVE EROS. The sense of the world is short, Long and various the report, To love and be beloved; Men and gods have not outlearned it; And, how oft soe?er they've turned it, ?Tis not to be improved....

...Table of Contents: The Home Book of Verse V2, 1 -- Burton Stevenson, 1 -- PART II. POEMS OF LOVE, 19 -- EROS, 19 -- NOW WHAT IS LOVE, 20 -- NOW WHAT IS LOVE, 20 -- WOOING SONG, 21 -- ROSALIND'S MADRIGAL, 22 -- SONG, 23 -- LOVE'S PERJURIES, 23 -...

Read More
  • Cover Image

1936 in music

Encyclopedia Article

...927 . 1928 . 1929 . 1930 . 1931 . 1932 ... 1933 1934 1935 -1936- 1937 1938 1939 ... 1940 . 1941 . 1942 . 1943 . 1944 ... ... This is a list of notable events in music that took place in the year 1936. Contents ... ... This is a list of notable events in music that took place in the year 1936. Contents ... ...c hit parade March 28 – Inaugurational concert of the São Paulo City Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ernst Mehlich ... ... "Gracie Barrie and Robert Shafter in the revue The Show is On "Christopher Columbus" w. Andy Razaf m. Leon Be... ...Beat For Me?" w. Russ Morgan "Down in the Depths (on the Ninetieth Floor)" w.m. Cole Porter. Introduced by Ethel Merman in th... ...Merman in the musical Red, Hot and Blue. "Easy To Love" w.m. Cole Porter. Introduced by James Stewart and reprised by Frances... ... (Eng) Sam M. Lewis m. Rezső Seress "The Glory Of Love" w.m. Billy Hill "Goodnight, Irene" w.m. Hudd... ...ember 15 and transferred to Daly's Theatre on January 21, 1937 for a total run of 190 performances. Starred Jack Buchanan and Elsie Randolph ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Man Who Knew Too Much

...ature Collection World Public Library.org WHO KNEW TOO MUCH Title: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH Author: G. K. CHESTERTON Language: English Subje... ...... ... public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that support ... ...ecame conscious of a human figure dark against the silver stream, sitting on a large boulder and looking rather like a large bird, it was perhaps wi... ...ontreal named Jenkins. Hoggs comes for the shooting; I told you he was a lovely shot." This repeated eulogy on the great social statesman affecte... ... idea," repeated Sir Walter, with something like respect. He had all the love of the luxurious classes for new ideas. But he also had a critical f... ...ith lifted lids, and the eyes under them seemed to have shed or shifted a film, as do the eyes of an eagle. "Why are you the officer in charge no... ... of the sunken sanctuary except a strong wooden hut, of the sort recently run up for many military and official purposes, the wooden floor of which ... ... bitterly. "It can be put back," replied Fisher. Twyford had already run upstairs for news of his vanishing nephew, and he received news of him...

...THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. Harold March, the rising reviewer and social critic, was walking vigorously across a great tableland of moors and commons, the horizon of which was fringed with the far-off woods of the famous estat...

...CONTENTS THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: I. THE FACE IN THE TARGET II. THE VANISHING PRINCE III. THE SOUL OF THE SCHOOLBOY IV. THE BOTTOMLESS WELL V. THE FAD OF THE FISHERMAN VI. THE HOLE IN THE WALL VII. THE TEMPLE OF SILENCE VIII. THE VE...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Last of the Mohicans (1936 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Philip Dunne Based on The Last of the Mohicans  ... ... Based on The Last of the Mohicans  by James Fenimore Cooper ... ... September 4, 1936 (1936-09-04) (USA) ... ... English The Last of the Mohicans is a 1936 American adventure film directed by Rand... ...e film directed by Randolph Scott, Binnie Barnes, and Henry Wilcoxon based on the novel The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper. ... ... the fort during the French and Indian War. Accompanied by a major who has loved the younger daughter for a long time, and by a renegade Huron Indian,... ...ture and excitement with what we considered some respectable poetry in the love story between the patrician English girl and the young Mohican brave. ... ... You Have to Run Fast (1961) ... ... You Have to Run Fast (1961) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

...NEW TOO MUCH by GILBERT K. CHESTERTON THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH Gilbert K. Chesterton Copyright © 2002 All Rights... ...Access Collection. http://worldLibrary.net - This eBook was obtained from the World eBook Library Consortia enhanced PDF eBook Collection. Membership... ...became conscious of a human figure dark against the silver stream, sitting on a large boulder and looking rather like a large bird, it was perhaps wit... ...ght mustache and lithe figure gave him a look of youth. But the Panama lay on the moss beside him; and the spectator could see that his brow was prema... ... Montreal named Jenkins. Hoggs comes for the shooting; I told you he was a lovely shot." This repeated eulogy on the great social statesman affected ... ...ew idea," repeated Sir Walter, with something like respect. He had all the love of the luxurious classes for new ideas. But he also had a critical fac... ...with lifted lids, and the eyes under them seemed to have shed or shifted a film, as do the eyes of an eagle. "Why are you the officer in charge now?"... ...d of the sunken sanctuary except a strong wooden hut, of the sort recently run up for many military and official purposes, the wooden floor of which w... ...mon, bitterly. "It can be put back," replied Fisher. Twyford had already run upstairs for news of his vanishing nephew, and he received news of him ...

...Harold March, the rising reviewer and social critic, was walking vigorously across a great tableland of moors and commons, the horizon of which was fringed with the far-off woods of the famous estate of Torwood Park. He was a good-looking ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Arise, My Love

Encyclopedia Article

... Jacques Théry Based on story  by Benjamin Glazer... ... English Arise, My Love is a 1940 American romantic comedy film made by Paramount Pictures, di... ...chell Leisen, written by Billy Wilder, Charles Brackett and Jacques Théry. The film stars Claudette Colbert, Ray Milland and Dennis O'Keefe. Notable f... ...land and Dennis O'Keefe. Notable for its interventionist message, it tells the love story of a pilot and lady journalist who meet in the latter days o... ... and Dennis O'Keefe. Notable for its interventionist message, it tells the love story of a pilot and lady journalist who meet in the latter days of th... ...ones she had made.[2][3] [N 1] Arise, My Love is based on the true story of Harold Edward Dahl. During the Spanish Civil War Dahl,... ...is wife. When the prison governor learns of the deception, the pair has to run for their lives. Ending up in Paris, Tom tries, wit... ... Berlin as a correspondent, Tom pursues her with both of them again on the run as Hitler invades Poland. Booking passage on the ill-fated SS Athenia, ... ... Thirteen Hours by Air (1936) Th...

Read More
  • Cover Image

... Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH Author: GILBERT K. CHESTERTON Language: English... ...... ...ng public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that suppor... ...e became conscious of a human figure dark against the silver stream, sitting on a large boulder and looking rather like a large bird, it was perhaps w... ...om Montreal named Jenkins. Hoggs comes for the shooting; I told you he was a lovely shot." This repeated eulogy on the great social statesman affected... ... new idea," repeated Sir Walter, with something like respect. He had all the love of the luxurious classes for new ideas. But he also had a critical f... ...n with lifted lids, and the eyes under them seemed to have shed or shifted a film, as do the eyes of an eagle. "Why are you the officer in charge now?... ...und of the sunken sanctuary except a strong wooden hut, of the sort recently run up for many military and official purposes, the wooden floor of which... ...d Symon, bitterly. "It can be put back," replied Fisher. Twyford had already run upstairs for news of his vanishing nephew, and he received news of hi...

...Excerpt: I. THE FACE IN THE TARGET Harold March, the rising reviewer and social critic, was walking vigorously across a great tableland of moors and commons, the horizon of which was fringed with the far?off woods of the famous estate of...

Table of Contents: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, 1 -- THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH -- i

Read More
  • Cover Image

Kirk Gibson's 1988 World Series home run

Encyclopedia Article

... Kirk Gibson's 1988 World Series home run occurred in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series, on October 15, 1988, at Do... ... Kirk Gibson's 1988 World Series home run occurred in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series, on October 15, 1988, at Dodger Stadium in Los Angele... ...'s 1988 World Series home run occurred in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series, on October 15, 1988, at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Gibson, pinch hittin... ...ober 15, 1988, at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Gibson, pinch hitting for the Los Angeles Dodgers in the bottom of the ninth inning, with injuries to... ...s in the bottom of the ninth inning, with injuries to both legs, hit a two-run walk-off home run off the Oakland Athletics' Dennis Eckersley that won ... ... with the Detroit Tigers, quickly became the Dodgers' de facto leader both on the field and off. On the field, Gibson led the team with 25 home runs, ... ... Blue I Love L.A. ... ... 1936 ... ... Blue I Love L.A. ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

...ature Collection World Public Library.org WHO KNEW TOO MUCH Title: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH Author: GILBERT K. CHESTERTON Language: English ... ...... ... public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that support ... ...ecame conscious of a human figure dark against the silver stream, sitting on a large boulder and looking rather like a large bird, it was perhaps wi... ...Montreal named Jenkins. Hoggs comes for the shooting; I told you he was a lovely shot." This repeated eulogy on the great social statesman affec... ...w idea," repeated Sir Walter, with something like respect. He had all the love of the luxurious classes for new ideas. But he also had a critical f... ...th lifted lids, and the eyes under them seemed to have shed or shifted a film, as do the eyes of an eagle. "Why are you the officer in charge now... ...of the sunken sanctuary except a strong wooden hut, of the sort recently run up for many military and official purposes, the wooden floor of which ... ... bitterly. "It can be put back," replied Fisher. Twyford had already run upstairs for news of his vanishing nephew, and he received news of hi...

...THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. Harold March, the rising reviewer and social critic, was walking vigorously across a great tableland of moors and commons, the horizon of which was fringed with the far-off woods of the famous estat...

...CONTENTS THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: I. THE FACE IN THE TARGET II. THE VANISHING PRINCE III. THE SOUL OF THE SCHOOLBOY IV. THE BOTTOMLESS WELL V. THE FAD OF THE FISHERMAN VI. THE HOLE IN THE WALL VII. THE TEMPLE OF SILENCE VIII. THE VE...

Read More
  • Cover Image

I Love You Again

Encyclopedia Article

... Language English I Love You Again is a comedy film release... ...was directed by W.S. Van Dyke and starred William Powell and Myrna Loy; all three were prominently involved in the The Thin Man series. The cast also ... ... 4 External links Plot While on a cruise, stodgy, overly-frugal busi... ... While on a cruise, stodgy, overly-frugal businessman Larry Wilson (William Powell) gets hit on the head with an oar while rescuing ... ... While on a cruise, stodgy, overly-frugal businessman Larry Wilson (William Powell) gets hit on the head with an oar while rescuing 'Do... ...he decides to swindle people using his alter-ego's sterling reputation. A complication arises when he falls in love with Kay a second time. She howeve... ... I Live My Life (1935) Rose Marie (1936) ... ... Rose Marie (1936) San Francisco (1936) ... ... The Devil Is a Sissy (1936) Love on the Run (1936) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Tales of the Long Bow

...assic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: TALES OF THE LONG BOW Author: G. K. CHESTERTON Language: English Subject: Fiction... ...... ...ng public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that suppor... ...s. The place was a straight suburban road of strictly−fenced suburban houses on the outskirts of a modern town. The time was about twenty minutes to e... ...se things very rare and most things very dull. I can't help having fallen in love with you; but for all that we are in different worlds; and you belon... ...." "I deserve no better," he replied mournfully. "Well, I think I must be in love with you too," she replied calmly. "I don't see what time has to do ... ...y of the Protective Screen. Even if it were possible, he said, for some thin film of petrol to appear on the water, as it would not mix with the water... ...in our time is always utterly unpractical at the last minute and in the long run. On that night Robert Owen Hood would have been encouraged to go anyw... ...oets repeated as a burden to his meditations the single line, `Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song.' "Rumours have been heard of some intentio...

...Excerpt: Chapter 1. THE Unpresentable Appearance of Colonel Crane These tales concern the doing of things recognized as impossible to do; impossible to believe; and, as the weary reader may well cry aloud, impossible to read about. Did the narra...

...Table of Contents: Tales of the Long Bow, 1 -- G. K. Chesterton, 1 -- Chapter I. The Unpresentable Appearance of Colonel Crane, 1 -- Chapter II. The Improbable Success of Mr. Owen Hood, 13 -- Chapter III. The Unobtrusive Traffic of Captain Pierce, 26 --...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Silent film

Encyclopedia Article

...Scene from the 1921 Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, one of the highest-grossing silent films. ... ...e 1921 Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, one of the highest-grossing silent films. ... ...lms. The iconic clock scene from Safety Last! (1923) ... ...d to narrate story points, present key dialogue and sometimes even comment on the action for the cinema audience. The title writer became a key profes... ... themselves, featuring illustrations or abstract decoration that commented on the action. Live music and sound ... ...al cinema conditions also. The solution adopted for the Kinetoscope was to run the film at over 40 frames/sec, but this is expensive on film. However ... ... Wu Yonggang, 1934 Modern Times, Charlie Chaplin, 1936 Later homages Several fi... ...and sound effects, but no dialogue. In 2005, the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society produced a silent film version of Lovecraft's ... ...ilent screen icon Rudolph Valentino, known as the Hollywood's first "Great Lover". After the emergency surgery, Valentino loses his grip of reality an...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Tremendous Trifles

...... ..., and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educators ... ... public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that support ... ...r's eye strays, with hearty relief, from these pages, it probably alights on something, a bed-post or a lamp-post, a window blind or a wall. It is ... ...azy? Let us exercise the eye until it learns to see startling facts that run across the landscape as plain as a painted fence. Let us be ocular ... ...onately on the head with a mallet, "how far you really are from the pure love of the sport--you who can play. It is only we who play badly who lov... ...ho can play. It is only we who play badly who love the Game itself. You love glory; you love applause; you love the earthquake voice of victory; y... ...liceman who lifts his hand to warn three omnibuses of the peril that they run in encountering my person, what is he but a shrub shaken for a moment ... ...ture. I thought of a low and lonely house in the flats, behind a veil or film of slight trees, a man breaking the ground as men have broken from th...

...Preface: These fleeting sketches are all republished by kind permission of the Editor of the DAILY NEWS, in which paper they appeared. They amount to no more than a sort of sporadic diary?a diary recording one day in twenty which happened to stick in the fancy?the only kind of diary the author has e...

...Contents Chapter I Tremendous Trifles II A Piece of Chalk III The Secret of a Train IV The Perfect Game V The Extraordinary Cabman VI An Accident VII The Advantages of Having One Leg VIII The End of the World IX In the Place de la Bastille X On Lying in Bed XI The Twelve Men XII The Win...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Film noir

Encyclopedia Article

...Two silhouetted figures in The Big Combo (1955). The film's cinematographer was John Alton, the creato... ...Two silhouetted figures in The Big Combo (1955). The film's cinematographer was John Alton, the creator of many of film noir's s... ...ywood's classical film noir period is generally regarded as extending from the early 1940s to the late 1950s. Film noir of this era is associated with... ...g, many classic noirs take place in small towns, suburbia, rural areas, or on the open road; so setting cannot be its genre determinant, as with the W... ...s for genre designation as with the gangster film. Nor does film noir rely on anything as evident as the monstrous or supernatural elements of the hor... ...ostman Always Rings Twice (1946), and Slightly Scarlet (1956; adapted from Love's Lovely Counterfeit). A decade before the classic era, a story of Ham... ... turned into major noirs—Murder, My Sweet (1944; adapted from Farewell, My Lovely), The Big Sleep (1946), and Lady in the Lake (1947)—he was an import... ...noir. While City Streets and other pre-WWII crime melodramas such as Fury (1936) and You Only Live Once (1937), both directed by Fritz Lang, are categ... ...) brought classic noir themes and mood to the small screen for an extended run.[94] 1960s and 1970s The neo-noi...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Everlasting Man

... Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: THE EVERLASTING MAN Author: G.K. CHESTERTON Language: English Subject: F... ...... ...ng public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that suppor... ....................................................................2 PART I. ON THE CREATURE CALLED MAN.............................................. ...CTION 2 Now the best relation to our spiritual home is to be near enough to love it. But the next best is to be far enough away not to hate it. It is... ...treating women in general with what is, I believe, known in the world of the film as 'rough stuff.' I have never happened to come upon the evidence fo... ...re is no reason why he should have been more brutal than the brutes. And the loves of the giraffes and the river romance of the hippopotami are effect... ... religion. But I hope also to show that these were bound to fail in the long run; and the world would have been lost if it had been unable to return t... ...ng to allegorise them. But in reality the rivers of mythology and philosophy run parallel and do not mingle till they meet in the sea of Christendom. ...

...Introduction: THE PLAN OF THIS BOOK There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. The other is to walk round the whole world till we come back to the same place; and I tried to trace such a journey in a story I once...

...Table of Contents: THE EVERLASTING MAN, 1 -- G.K. Chesterton, 1 -- PREFATORY NOTE, 1 -- Introduction, 2 -- THE PLAN OF THIS BOOK, 2 -- PART I. ON THE CREATURE CALLED MAN, 6 -- I. THE MAN IN THE CAVE, 6 -- II. PROFESSORS AND PREHISTORIC MEN, 14 ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Ayan (film)

Encyclopedia Article

...016)[2] Ayan ([3] The film's story revolves around Deva, a youngster whose mother wants him t... ...a, a youngster whose mother wants him to become a government official. He, on the other hand, works for a smuggling group run by Arumuga Dass who has ... ...a youngster whose mother wants him to become a government official. He, on the other hand, works for a smuggling group run by Arumuga Dass who has bee... ... a government official. He, on the other hand, works for a smuggling group run by Arumuga Dass who has been his mentor and looking after him since chi... ...India, including Namibia, Malaysia, Zanzibar and South Africa. It released on 3 April 2009 worldwide to positive reviews.[4][5] Ayan was declared as t... ... Yamuna catches this and accepts his apologies, slowly starting to fall in love with him. Meanwhile, Kamalesh (Akashdeep Saighal), the arch-enemy and ... ...evous attitude appeals to the eyes of Yamuna. Deva, who also expresses his love to Yamuna, prioritises Dass before anything else, as he shows great re... ... Dass is a smuggler of diamonds who has received the diamonds from errands run by his right-hand, Deva. Dass is disrespected by Kaveri, whose husband ... ... Ratnavalli (1936) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Everlasting Man

...HE EVERLASTING MAN by G. K. CHESTERTON THE EVERLASTING MAN G.K. Chesterton Copyright © 2002 All Rights Reserved Wo... ...Access Collection. http://worldLibrary.net - This eBook was obtained from the World eBook Library Consortia enhanced PDF eBook Collection. Membership... ...m • PREFATORY NOTE • INTRODUCTION • THE PLAN OF THIS BOOK • PART I. ON THE CREATURE CALLED MAN • I. THE MAN IN THE CAVE • II. PROFESSORS AND P... ...I. THE WAR OF THE GODS AND DEMONS • VIII. THE END OF THE WORLD • PART II. ON THE MAN CALLED CHRIST • I. THE GOD IN THE CAVE • II. THE RIDDLES OF THE... ...aith. Now the best relation to our spiritual home is to be near enough to love it. But the next best is to be far enough away not to hate it. It is t... ...eating women in general with what is, I believe, known in the world of the film as 'rough 7 stuff.' I have never happened to come upon the evidence f... ... is no reason why he should have been more brutal than the brutes. And the loves of the giraffes and the river romance of the hippopotami are effected... ...eligion. But I hope also to show that these were bound to fail in the long run; and the world would have been lost if it had been unable to return to ... ... to allegorise them. But in reality the rivers of mythology and philosophy run parallel and do not mingle till they meet in the sea of Christendom. Si...

...This book needs a preliminary note that its scope be not misunderstood The view suggested is historical rather than theological, and does not deal directly with a religious change which has been the chief event of my own life; and about which I am already writing a more purely controversial volu...

...· PREFATORY NOTE · INTRODUCTION · THE PLAN OF THIS BOOK · PART I. ON THE CREATURE CALLED MAN · I. THE MAN IN THE CAVE · II. PROFESSORS AND PREHISTORIC MEN · III. THE ANTIQUITY OF CIVILISATION · IV. GOD AND COMPARATIVE RELIGION · V. MAN AND MYTHOLOGIES · VI. T...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Jubal (film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Valerie French in the film trailer ... ... Jubal is a 1956 Western directed by Delmer Daves based on a 1939 novel by Paul Wellman. The movie stars Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnin... ...56 Western directed by Delmer Daves based on a 1939 novel by Paul Wellman. The movie stars Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnine, Rod Steiger and Valerie French... ...r American film debut. The movie was filmed in Technicolor and CinemaScope on location in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. It is notable as ... ...roup that the cowboys call "rawhiders." Pinky and the other cowboys try to run off the strangers and resent Jubal's interference on their behalf. Juba... ...f Milan Love's Sacrifice ... ... Men Are Not Gods (1936) A ... ...roup that the cowboys call "rawhiders." Pinky and the other cowboys try to run off the strangers and resent Jubal's interference on their behalf. Juba... ...f Milan Love's Sacrifice ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

How and When to Be Your Own Doctor

By: Dr. Isabelle A. Moser

...... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... ...ng public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that suppor... ...nd when we find ourselves In a place just right, It will be in the valley Of love and delight. Old Shaker Hymn Favorite of Dr. Isabelle Moser I was a ... ...th impunity. I had been fond of drinking beer with my friends while nibbling on salty snacks or heavy foods late into the night. And until my health b... ...h was to take a multivitamin pill during those rare spells when I felt a bit run down and to eat lots of vegetables. So I'd not learned much about alt... ...ge and then spent several years in a state mental hospital. She had recently run away from a hospital, and had been found wandering aimlessly or stand... ...rious heath problem in just 30 years of life. Like many women, she expressed love−for−family in the kitchen by serving too−much too−tasty food. The Mo... ...protein grain tended to be small, sickly and short−lived. (McCarrison, 1921, 1936, 1982; Albrecht, 1975) Even cows have to pay attention to where thei...

...ift to be simple Tis a gift to be free, Tis a gift to come down Where we ought to be. And when we find ourselves In a place just right, It will be in the valley Of love and delight. Old Shaker Hymn Favorite of Dr. Isabelle Moser I was a physically tough, happy?go?lucky fellow until I reached my late thirties. Then I began to experience more and more off days when I did not...

...hen to Be Your Own Doctor, 1 -- Dr. Isabelle A. Moser with Steve Solomon, 1 -- Forward, 1 -- Chapter One. How I Became a Hygienist, 4 -- Chapter Two. The Nature and Cause of Disease, 16 -- Chapter Three. Fasting, 28 -- Chapter Four. Colon Cleansing, 55 -- Chapter Five. Diet and Nutrition, 66 -- Chapter Six. Vitamins and Other Food Supplements, 101 -- Chapter Seven. The Ana...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Palooka (film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Promotional poster for the film. Direct... ... comedy film directed by Benjamin Stoloff starring Jimmy Durante and based on the comic strip by Ham Fisher. The movie was adapted by Jack Jevne, Arth... ...medy film directed by Benjamin Stoloff starring Jimmy Durante and based on the comic strip by Ham Fisher. The movie was adapted by Jack Jevne, Arthur ... ... Soundtrack "The Band Played On" (Music by Chas. B. Ward, lyrics by John F. Palmer) ... ... Palmer) Lupe Vélez - "Like Me a Little Bit Less (Love Me a Little Bit More)" (Music by Burton Lane, lyrics by Harold Adamson... ... The Sporting Lover (1926) ... ... The Last of the Mohicans (1936) Th... ... The Bride Walks Out (1936) We... ... You Have to Run Fast (1961) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Civilization of Illiteracy

By: Mihai Nadin

...iterature Collection World Public Library.org OF ILLITERACY Title: THE CIVILIZATION OF ILLITERACY Author: MIHAI NADIN Language: English Subje... ...... ... public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that support ... ...iteracy The Epitome of the Civilization of Illiteracy For the love of trade "The best of the useful and the best of the ornamental" ... ...ake Language and nourishment Sequence and configuration revisited On cooks, pots, and spoons The identity of food The language of expec... ...oping with the right to affluence From self-nourishment to being fed Run and feed the hungry No truffles (yet) in the coop We are what we... ...f our existence. In the palace of books and eternity, we were promised love and beauty, prosperity, and above all permanence. Disinherit... ...ne more remark before ending this introduction. It seems that those who run the scholarly publishing industry are unable to accept that someone... ...nows the name of every soccer team that has won the championship since 1936; he knows by heart the names of the players, which coach was fired ...

...Foreward Introduction Literacy in a Changing World Thinking about alternatives Progressing towards illiteracy? Book One The Chasm Between Yesterday and Tomorrow Contrasting characters Choose a letter and click Keeping up with faster living Loaded literacy Man proposes, man disposes Beyond the commitment to literacy A moving target The wise fox...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Humoresque (film)

Encyclopedia Article

...arring Joan Crawford and John Garfield in an older woman/younger man tale about a violinist and his patroness. The screenplay by Clifford Odets and Za... ...ld be like, and for thinking that music is no longer part of his life as he has lived with it for too long. To the more sympathetic Sid Jeffers (Oscar... ... In the past, young Paul (Bobby Blake) is choosing a birthday present in a suburban New York Variety store run by Jeffers (Harlan Briggs). He reje... ...ts as childish the suggestions of his father 'Papa' Rudy (J. Carrol Naish), a grocery store owner, but settles on a violin, which his father rejects a... ...im. A transition from his faltering first steps to being a gifted young violinist follows. On 15 October 1930, he overhears his fa... ...pianist. At a party, Paul meets the hostess Helen Wright (Joan Crawford), a patroness in a loveless marriage with an ineffectual a... ... Boray is quick to press her on the second issue. He gains a manager Bauer from her connections, and is now in love with her. On the beach, near the W... ...t Sleep (1935) (monologue) Sarah Bernhardt (1936) (radio) ... ...ernhardt (1936) (radio) The Silent Partner (1936) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

How and When to Be Your Own Doctor

By: Dr. Isabelle A. Moser; Steve Solomon

... Library, Public Access Collection. http://worldLibrary.net - To download the PDF version of this document become a member of the World eBook Library... ...a member of the World eBook Library Consortia and gain unlimited access to the enhanced PDF eBook Collection. Membership to the World eBook Library Co... ... when we find ourselves In a place just right, It will be in the valley Of love and delight. Old Shaker Hymn Favorite of Dr. Isabelle Moser I was ... ... impunity. I had been fond of drinking beer with my friends while nibbling on salty snacks or heavy foods late into the night. And until my health beg... ...was to take a multivitamin pill during those rare spells when I felt a bit run down and to eat lots of vegetables. So I'd not learned much about alter... ...fast for two weeks. If I start right now maybe even three weeks, depending on how my schedule works out." So in short order I was given several small... ... and then spent several years in a state mental hospital. She had recently run away from a hospital, and had been found wandering aimlessly or standin... ...ous heath problem in just 30 years of life. Like many women, she expressed love-for-family in the kitchen by serving too-much too-tasty food. The Morm... ...otein grain tended to be small, sickly and short-lived. (McCarrison, 1921, 1936, 1982; Albrecht, 1975) Even cows have to pay attention to where their...

...d garden and ate mostly vegetablitarian I thought I could eat anything with impunity. I had been fond of drinking beer with my friends while nibbling on salty snacks or heavy foods late into the night. And until my health began to weaken I could still get up the next morning after several homebrewed beers, feeling good, and would put in a solid day's work. When my health b...

...· Forward · Chapter One. How I Became a Hygienist · Chapter Two. The Nature and Cause of Disease · Chapter Three. Fasting · Chapter Four. Colon Cleansing · Chapter Five. Diet and Nutrition · Chapter Six. Vitamins and Other Food Supplements · Chapter Seven. The Analysis of Disease States: H...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Chuka (film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Richard Jessup Rod Tayor (uncredited) Based on novel... ... $1.7 million[1] Chuka is a 1967 American western film starring Rod Taylor who also produ... ... Chuka is a 1967 American western film starring Rod Taylor who also produced and worked on the screenplay.[2] The film began a ... ... Chuka is a 1967 American western film starring Rod Taylor who also produced and worked on the screenplay.[2] The film began a ser... ... redemption, it was directed by Gordon Douglas and is based on 1961 novel by Richard Jessup,[3] who also wrote the screenplay.[4] ... ...nearly everyone in the fort has a past they would rather forget. Before he became a hired gunman, Chuka was in love with Kleitz, but because he was on... ... love with Kleitz, but because he was only a lowly hired hand on her wealthy father's ranch, he was beaten and run off and she dutifully married a man... ... (Michael Cole). That night, as they wait for the impending attack, Senora Kleitz goes to Chuka, and they make love. The next day,... ... General Spanky (1936) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

When Thief Meets Thief

By: Harry Stephen Keeler

...... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... ...ng public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that suppor... ...........................................................1 CHAPTER I. YOUNG LOVE — AND A SKULL ..................................................... ...............................................................87 CHAPTER XXI. LOVE UNDER A PACIFIC MOON .............................................. ...out of the lining of my interior for a good eight years than there are fleas on a cat's ear when he's being dipped to his whiskers in insecticide. I k... ...o board a cruising steamer due to make the trip through the Panama Canal and run around among the West Indies. Going up the gangplank to the steamer, ... ... average man, in such a position, would lose patience after a few months and run off with some other woman, but a woman seizes such a chance to prove ... ... succinct reason that Mr. Sam had walked right out on Tillary in December of 1936, just as Tillary was giving a grand bachelor party. Tillary blamed i...

...Excerpt: Chapter 1. YOUNG LOVE?AND A SKULL MY name is Jerry Hammond. J. Hammond, yeggman in the vernacular of gangsterdom and the underworld, safe?cracker in everyday English. Also gentleman?and take that last or leave it! So now I'm placed in the gen...

...Table of Contents: When Thief Meets Thief, 1 -- Harry Stephen Keeler, 1 -- Chapter I. YOUNG LOVE ? AND A SKULL, 1 -- Chapter II. LAUGHING SAM ? FROM ALABAM'!, 9 -- Chapter III. KANGAROO COURT, 12 -- Chapter IV. NEGOTIATIONS, 14 -- Chapter V. J. HAMMOND, D.D.S, 15 -- Chapter VI. TWO LEFT, 17 -- Chapter VII. RETURN TO...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Crimen (film)

Encyclopedia Article

...er! and Killing in Monte Carlo) is a 1960 Italian whodunit-comedy movie by Mario Camerini. The movie had two remakes: the first, I... ... The movie had two remakes: the first, Io non vedo, tu non parli, lui non sente, was directed by the same Camerini in 1971 and was starr... ...nd was starred by Gastone Moschin, Enrico Montesano and Alighiero Noschese, the second, Once Upon a Crime, was filmed in 1992 by Eugene Levy and has J... ...inks Plot Five people, all united by the fact of being on a train to Monte Carlo, will find th... ...ranzetti Franca Valeri: Giovanna Georges Rivière: Eleonora's Lover Bernard ... ...ndrels Men Are! (1932) I'll Give a Million (1936) ... ...'ll Give a Million (1936) The Great Appeal (1936) ... ... The Betrothed (1941) Love Story (1942) ... ... Holiday Island (1957) Run with the Devil (1960) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Sonnets

By: William Shakespeare

... SONNETS by WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 3 THE SONNETS by William Shakespeare From fairest creatures ... ...ire increase, That thereby beauty’s rose might never die, But as the riper should by time decease, His tender heir might bear his memor... ...eep trenches in thy beauty’s field, Thy youth’s proud livery so gazed on now, Will be a tattered weed of small worth held: Then being... ...ndry? Or who is he so fond will be the tomb, 5 Of his self-love to stop posterity? Thou art thy mother’s glass and she in thee ... ...ty? Thou art thy mother’s glass and she in thee Calls back the lovely April of her prime, So thou through windows of thine age shalt ... ...t unfair which fairly doth excel: For never-resting time leads summer on To hideous winter and confounds him there, Sap checked with fr... ... Since from thee going, he went wilful-slow, Towards thee I’ll run, and give him leave to go. 52 So a... ...es before her face: Not prizing her poor infant’s discontent; So run’st thou after that which flies from thee, Whilst I thy babe chas... ...g men. SUFFOLK. Thou shalt be waking while I shed thy blood, 1936 If from this presence thou dar’st go with me. WARWICK. Away ...

...mus. Scaena Prima. Enter Begger and Hostes, Christophero Sly. Begger. Ile pheeze you infaith Host. A paire of stockes you rogue Beg. Y’are a baggage, the Slies are no Rogues. Looke in the Chronicles, we came in with Richard Conqueror: therefore Paucas pallabris, let the world slide: Sessa Host. You will not pay for the glasses you haue burst? Beg. No, not a deniere: go by ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Sin (1915 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Phil Rosen Distributed by Fox Film Corporation ... ...ilent English intertitles Sin was a 1915 American silent drama film written and directed by Herbert Br... ...en and directed by Herbert Brenon and starring Theda Bara. It was produced by Fox Film Corporation and shot at the Fox Studio in Fort Lee, New Jersey.... ...Reception In order to play up Theda Bara's image as a vamp, Fox Film Corporation publicized the film with the tagline "Sin With The... ...cess, the film was banned in Ohio and Georgia due to its themes of suicide, lust, Roman Catholic sacrilege and love triangles. The Pittsburgh Board of... ...f Welfare condemned the film as did the Kansas Board of Censorship (which apparently still allowed the film to run in Kansas theaters).[4][5] ... ... Quinneys (1919) The Sign on the Door (1921) ... ... Honours Easy (1935) Someone at the Door (1936) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Dictionary of Phrase and Fable : E. Cobham Brewer from the New and Enlarged Edition of 1894

By: Rev. E. Cobham Brewer, Ll. D.

...... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... ...ng public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well as offer a variety of services and resources that suppor... ... which mala (i.e., all sorts of apples, pears, quinces, pomegranates, and so on) formed the most conspicuous part. — Hor. Sat. I. iii. 5. Aback I was ... ..., after it became his residence. Sir Walter devised the name from a fancy he loved to indulge in, that the abbots of Melrose Abbey, in ancient times, ... ...that when he married Amina, 200 virgins broke their hearts from disappointed love. — Washington Irving: Life of Mahomet. Abdallah Brother and predeces... ...m Dowton (1764——1851) was nick—named “Sir Anthony Absolute.” Absquatulate To run away or abscond. A comic American word, from ab and squat (to go away... ...za of the ninth ode of Horace are in Alcaics. The first two lines of the ode run thus, and in the same metre: “See how Soracté groans with its wintry ... ...(fog—month, October 22nd to November 21st). Dictionary of Phrase and Fable M 1936 December. The tenth month of the old Alban calendar. The old Dutch ...

...mall frame with wires stretched across it. Each wire contains ten movable balls, which can be shifted backwards or forwards, so as to vary ad libitum the number in two or more blocks. It is used to teach children addition and subtraction. The ancient Greeks and Romans employed it for calculations, and so do the Chinese. The word is derived from the Phoen. abak (dust); the ...

...Table of Contents: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, 1 -- E. COBHAM BREWER FROM THE NEW AND ENLARGED EDITION OF 1894, 1 -- A, 1 -- B, 182 -- C, 447 -- D, 741 -- E, 916 -- F, 1002 -- G, 1140 -- H, 1301 -- I, 1470 -- J, 1528 -- K, 1587 -- L, 1641 -- M, 1786 -- N, 1973 -- O, 2043 -- P, 2094 -- Q, 2293 -- R,...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Sunny (1930 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Written by Henry McCarty and Humphrey Pearson based on the play by Oscar Hammerstein II and... ... Written by Henry McCarty and Humphrey Pearson based on the play by Oscar Hammerstein II and Ot... ...e-code musical comedy film, produced and released by First National Pictures, a subsidiary of Warner Brothers. The movie was based on the Broadway sta... ...y film, produced and released by First National Pictures, a subsidiary of Warner Brothers. The movie was based on the Broadway stage hit, Sunny, produ... ... part of an American circus performer, doing her act in a British circus, who is engaged to a man she does not love. A former boyfriend, played by Law... ... by Lawrence Gray, stops by to see her before taking boat back to the United States. Miller realizing that she loves Gray, decides to run away. She em... ...s by to see her before taking boat back to the United States. Miller realizing that she loves Gray, decides to run away. She embarks on the same boat ... ...Could Only Cook (1935) The Moon's Our Home (1936) ... ... The Moon's Our Home (1936) Dimples (1936) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

National Heritage Fellowships

...1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W . W ashington, D.C. 20506-0001 www.arts.gov The National Endowment for the Arts enriches our nation and its diverse cu... ...heritage by supporting works of artistic excellence, advancing learning in the arts, and strengthening the arts in communities throughout the country... ...rol Edison Inside Cover, front: T op Row , left to right: Frog Clan design on Tlingit regalia by Esther Littlefield, 1991 Fellow– –photo courtesy of E... ...st an edited version of the concert, carried by most public radio stations on Thanksgiving Day . W AMU-FM of W ashington, DC, has been the local media... ...o my father who understood that a young boy’s curiosity can be shaped with love and patience; second to nature which has provided me the greatest stud... ... IDDLER B orn in 1927 in rural Louisiana, Dewey Balfa was instilled with a love of Cajun music since he was child. Balfa began learning the fiddle fro... ... was appropriate for the altar. Emily Kau’i Zuttermeister H ULA M ASTER In 1936, Zuttermeister, nicknamed Aunty Kau’i, opened her own school for hula,... ...he White House at one time.” Persistence and determination are themes that run through the biographies of National Heritage Fellows. Francis Whitaker,... ...he program some may have questioned whether at some point the awards would run out of strong candidates or the awards would lapse into redundancy, the...

...Excerpt: The National Endowment for the Arts enriches our nation and its diverse cultural heritage by supporting works of artistic excellence, advancing learning in the arts, and strengthening the arts in communities throughout the co...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Devdas (1935 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Pramathesh Barua Based on Devdas  by Sharat Chandra... ... Devdas is a 1935 Bengali film directed by Pramathesh Barua and based on the Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay novella, Devdas. It stars Barua himself... ... Devdas is a 1935 Bengali film directed by Pramathesh Barua and based on the Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay novella, Devdas. It stars Barua himself as... ...Devi as Chandramukhi. This was Barua's first of three language versions of the story, the second being in Hindi and the third in Assamese. ... ... Sharat Chandra Chatterjee's classic novel Devdas is about two lovers - Debdas and Parbati - who can never unite as mortals because of the... ...lush village of Taj Sonapur, where he spent his childhood, indulged by his lovely playmate Paro. They grew up sharing a special relationship, in which... ...vdas has been remade a number of times, New Theatres remade it in Tamil in 1936, it was made twice in Telugu in 1953 and 1974 but the most famous subs... ...d hear that her Devdas was dying under a tree outside her house, she would run out to see him. But as she would rush out, the doors would begin to clo... ..., torn between the pull he feels towards his village roots and his wish to run away to the city to escape from the tragic reality of a lost love. His ...

Read More

|
|
|
|
Records: 1 - 40 of 1,343 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.