|
|
|
|
Records: 1 - 40 of 2,054 - Pages: 
  • Cover Image

Native Life in South Africa

By: Solomon Tshekisho Plaatje

...Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: NATIVE LIFE IN SOUTH AFRICA Author: SOLOMON TSHEKISHO PLAATJE Language: English ... ...... ...ww.WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and... ...raphies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve th... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... ...... ...ettled system". "Mhudi" was published by the missionary press at Lovedale in 1930, in a somewhat bowdlerized version. It has since been republished in... ...n their folly in letting ground to the Natives; the racial extremists of his party hailed him as the right man for the post, for, as his conduct showe... ...pers, because they took their views from the heated speeches and writings in party newspapers all over the country, and they were very much alarmed. H...

...Foreword: (Native Life in South Africa electronic text): Sol Plaatje began work on ?Native Life in South Africa? in 1914, while on his way to Britain to plead with the Imperial Government against the Natives? Land Act of 1913, as part of a dep...

...Table of Contents: Native Life in South Africa, 1 -- Solomon Tshekisho Plaatje, 1 -- Foreword (Native Life in South Africa electronic text):, 2 -- Introduction, by Neil Parsons, 2 -- (A) Who is the Author?, 5 -- (B) Prologue, 6 -- ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Earth (1930 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... 8 April 1930 (1930-04-08) ... ...s a 1930 Soviet film by Ukrainian director Alexander Dovzhenko, concerning the process of collectivization and the hostility of Kulak landowners. It i... ...iet film by Ukrainian director Alexander Dovzhenko, concerning the process of collectivization and the hostility of Kulak landowners. It is Part 3 of ... ...ernal links 8 Plot The film begins with the final moments of grandfather Semyon (Simon) Opanas... ... Plot The film begins with the final moments of grandfather Semyon (Simon) Opanas beneath a pear tree.[1] Next local kul... ...to bury his son in a new way without priests and "sing new songs for a new life." The villagers do so, while Vasyl's fiancee, Natalya, mourns him pain... ...Mikhajlov as Village priest Pavel Petrik as Young party-cell leader P. Umanets ... ...urnalists. One critic called it "idealogically vicious" and some Communist Party officials accused Dovzhenko of wasting public funds on the film. Prav... ...asterpiece of world cinema" and praised its "powerful lyric affirmation of life."[14] Lewis Jacobs compared Dovzhenko's work to Eisenstein and Pudovki...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Native Life in South Africa

...IN by SOLOMON TSHEKISHO PLAATJE Native Life in South Africa Solomon Tshekisho Plaatje Copyright © 2002 All Rights ... ...Access Collection. http://worldLibrary.net - This eBook was obtained from the World eBook Library Consortia enhanced PDF eBook Collection. Membership... ...World eBook Library Consortia enhanced PDF eBook Collection. Membership to the World eBook Library Consortia is only $8.95 per year. Your $8.95 helps ... ...ry Consortia is only $8.95 per year. Your $8.95 helps to support a variety of global literacy programs. 60,000 PDF eBooks and PDF eDocuments in 104 la... ... daily). To join visit http://netLibrary.net/Join.htm • Foreword (Native Life in South Africa electronic text): • Introduction, by Neil Parsons •... ... • Chapter VI Our Indebtedness to White Women • Chapter VII Persecution of Coloured Women in the Orange Free State • Chapter VIII At Thaba Ncho: ... ...led system". "Mhudi" was published by the missionary press at Lovedale in 1930, in a somewhat bowdlerized version. It has since been republished in m... ...their folly in letting ground to the Natives; the racial extremists of his party hailed him as the right man for the post, for, as his conduct showed ... ...rs, because they took their views from the heated speeches and writings in party newspapers all over the country, and they were very much alarmed. He ...

...The method seemed sound enough -- it was quite similar in form to the successful deputation which had pleaded to keep Bechuanaland (modern Botswana) under direct Imperial control in 1895. But circumstances were different in 1...

...· Foreword (Native Life in South Africa electronic text): · Introduction, by Neil Parsons · (A) Who is the Author? · (B) Prologue · Chapter I A Retrospect · Chapter II The Grim Struggle between Right and Wrong, and the Latter Carries the Day · ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

1930 in film

Encyclopedia Article

... 1929 1930 1931 ... ... The following is an overview of 1930 in film, including significant events,... ... The following is an overview of 1930 in film, including significant events, a list of films released and... ... Events March 10: Release of Goodbye Argentina (Adiós Argentina), the first Argentine film with a (mu... ... March 10: Release of Goodbye Argentina (Adiós Argentina), the first Argentine film with a (musical) soundtrack. Ada Cornaro has her f... ... 8. The Life of the Party Winnie Lightner ... ... 8. The Life of the Party Winnie Lightner ... ...e, starring Jack Oakie and Jeanette MacDonald The Life of the Party, musical comedy entirely in Technicolor directed by Roy D... ...Jack Oakie and Jeanette MacDonald The Life of the Party, musical comedy entirely in Technicolor directed by Roy Del Ruth ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

By: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

...r Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Author: John Dickson Carr Language... ... Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Author: John Dickson Carr Language: En... ...assic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Author: John Dickson Carr Language: English... ...... ...... ...ndence which aver- ;aged sixty letters a day. Arthur Coiian Doyle's incredible life and career were influenced by many things by his ancestry, Irish a... ...t of material had accumulated at the time of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's death in 1930. But only in 1946 was it fully docketed and arranged. Therefore th... ... made an admirable speech, Luck, Phiz, Lemon, Leigh, &c., being present, which party and Mr. Peter Cunningham afterwards went with Dickens to the Rain... ...I can only say," concluded Budd, "we are astonished that you could have been a party to any such correspondence, and we refuse to have any- thing more...

...st to last. Vincent Starrett This is a brilliant and Important biography. Exciting and provocative reading; romantic, challenging and humorous, it is the story of a truly fascinating figure, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. John Dickson Carr worked closely with the Conan Doyle family in. England from material that Conan Doyle left, including his correspondence which aver-; aged six...

...Table of Contents: FOREWORD ix -- I. HERITAGE: The Golden Leopards i -- II. ACADEMIC: Tlie Hidden Tutors 10 -- III. ADVENTURE: A Taste for Trouble 22 -- IV. MEDICAL: The Respectable Top-Hat. With Manuscripts 36 -- V. DISILLUSIONMEN...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Morocco (1930 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Morocco is a 1930 American romance drama film directed by Josef von Sternberg and starring Gary Cooper, Marl... ... and starring Gary Cooper, Marlene Dietrich, and Adolphe Menjou . Based on the novel Amy Jolly by Benno Vigny and adapted by Jules Furthman, th... ...ed on the novel Amy Jolly by Benno Vigny and adapted by Jules Furthman, the film is about a cabaret singer and a Legionnaire who fall in love, but ... ... who fall in love, but their relationship is complicated by his womanizing and the appearance of a rich man who is also in love with her. The film is ... ...ve, but their relationship is complicated by his womanizing and the appearance of a rich man who is also in love with her. The film is most famous for... ...g dressed in a man's tailcoat and kisses another woman (to the embarrassment of the latter), both of which were rather scandalous for the period. M... ..., and they become acquainted. He discovers that she has become embittered with life and men, but, as they talk, she finds herself coming to like him. ... ...s to accompany him. Caesar is killed by the enemy. Later, at their engagement party, La Bessiere and Amy learn that what's left of Tom's detachment h...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Life of Me: An Autobiography Clarence Edgar Johnson

By: David Larry

...rature Collection World Public Library.org AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY Title: THE LIFE OF ME, AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY Author: CLARENCE JOHNSON Language: English... ...re Collection World Public Library.org AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY Title: THE LIFE OF ME, AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY Author: CLARENCE JOHNSON Language: English Su... ...llection World Public Library.org AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY Title: THE LIFE OF ME, AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY Author: CLARENCE JOHNSON Language: English Subject... ...... ....WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and o... ...... ...the mule had kicked. Many years later, during the depression of the 1930s, a neighbor was giving me a homemade haircut one Sunday afternoon ... ... and had the responsibility for the safety and well-being of the entire party. Whether we were working or playing, that rule of command held... ...e had parties. Many a Friday night some good farm couple would give a party. These parties were always family affairs. The young people didn...

...Preface: This writing grew out of a request from my daughter, Anita, that I write to her concerning me, my family, my parents and their families; how we lived, how we grew up; our ideals, our customs, and our social life....

...CONTENTS Preface Chapter 1. Grandparents, Parents, And Our First Farm 2. Early Childhood At The Flint Farm 3. At The Exum Farm After I Was Five 4. Social Living, Loving, Listening, And Learning 5. Books, Folklore, Medicine, And Dreams 6. Prosperity, Animals, Growing Up 3 7. Dry Year On The Texas Plains, 1917 8. Move...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Bad Man (1930 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Distributed by First National Pictures: A Subsidiary of Warner Bros. ... ...e dates September 13, 1930 (1930-09-13) ... ... Language English The Bad Man (1930) is an all-talking pr... ... Language English The Bad Man (1930) is an all-talking pre-code wester... ... English The Bad Man (1930) is an all-talking pre-code western film starring Walter Huston which was p... ...e western film starring Walter Huston which was produced and released by First National Pictures, a subsidiary of Warner Bros.[1] The movie is based o... ...ring Walter Huston which was produced and released by First National Pictures, a subsidiary of Warner Bros.[1] The movie is based on Porter Emerson Br... ... Walter Huston plays the part of a notorious Mexican bandit. James Rennie plays as the man who once saved his life. When Rennie is unable to pay the ... ... Woman Hungry (1931) Party Husband (1931) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Life of Me: An Autobiography Clarence Edgar Johnson

By: Clarence Edgar Johnson

...OF ME by CLARENCE EDGAR JOHNSON 3 THE LIFE OF ME, AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY By Clarence Edgar Johnson C... ...E by CLARENCE EDGAR JOHNSON 3 THE LIFE OF ME, AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY By Clarence Edgar Johnson CONTE... ... by CLARENCE EDGAR JOHNSON 3 THE LIFE OF ME, AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY By Clarence Edgar Johnson CONTENTS ... ... 1. Grandparents, Parents, And Our First Farm 2. Early Childhood At The Flint Farm 3. At The Exum Farm After I Was Five 4. Social Livin... ... 5 PREFACE This writing grew out of a request from my daughter, Anita, that I write to her concerning me,... ...; how we lived, how we grew up; our ideals, our customs, and our social life. The original writings were in the form of letters written to ... ...the mule had kicked. Many years later, during the depression of the 1930s, a neighbor was giving me a homemade haircut one Sunday afternoon ... ... and had the responsibility for the safety and well-being of the entire party. Whether we were working or playing, that rule of command held... ...we had parties. Many a Friday night some good farm couple would give a party. These parties were always family affairs. The young people didn...

...Chapter 1. Grandparents, Parents, And Our First Farm -- 2. Early Childhood At The Flint Farm -- 3. At The Exum Farm After I Was Five -- 4. Social Living, Loving, Listening, And Learning -- 5. Books, Folklore, Medicine, And Dreams -- 6. Prosperity, Animals, Growing Up -- 7. Dry Year On The Texas Plains,...

...CONTENTS Preface Chapter 1. Grandparents, Parents, And Our First Farm 2. Early Childhood At The Flint Farm 3. At The Exum Farm After I Was Five 4. Social Living, Loving, Listening, And Learning 5. Books, Folklore, Medicine, And Dreams 6. Prosperity, Animals, Growing Up 7. Dry Year On The Texas Plains, 1917 8. Moved ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Hold Everything (1930 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Written by Robert Lord based on the play by Buddy G. DeSylva, Ray Hende... ...lease dates March 20, 1930 (1930-03-20) ... ... Language English Hold Everything is a 1930 early all-talking film. It was the... ... English Hold Everything is a 1930 early all-talking film. It was the first musical comedy f... ... English Hold Everything is a 1930 early all-talking film. It was the first musical comedy film to be rel... ...phed entirely in early two-color Technicolor. It was adapted from the DeSylva-Brown-Henderson Broadway musical of the same name that had served as a v... ...d films. The theatre later became a legitimate Broadway venue, the Mark Hellinger Theatre, and is now the home of the Times Square Church.[1] ... ... Three Faces East (1930) The Life of the Party (1930) ... ... Three Faces East (1930) The Life of the Party (1930) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Native Life in South Africa, Before and Since the European War and the Boer Rebellion

... Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org AND SINCE THE EUROPEAN WAR AND THE BOER REBELLION Title: NATIVE LIFE IN SOUTH AF... ....org AND SINCE THE EUROPEAN WAR AND THE BOER REBELLION Title: NATIVE LIFE IN SOUTH AFRICA, BEFORE AND SINCE THE EUROPEAN WAR AND THE BOER REBELL... ...E BOER REBELLION Title: NATIVE LIFE IN SOUTH AFRICA, BEFORE AND SINCE THE EUROPEAN WAR AND THE BOER REBELLION Author: SOLOMON TSHEKISHO PLAATJE L... ....WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and o... ...phies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the ... ...... ...stem". "Mhudi" was published by the missionary press at Lovedale in 1930, in a somewhat bowdlerized version. It has since been republished ... ...ir folly in letting ground to the Natives; the racial extremists of his party hailed him as the right man for the post, for, as his conduct show... ... because they took their views from the heated speeches and writings in party newspapers all over the country, and they were very much alarmed. ...

...Contents (A) Who is the Author? (B) Prologue Chapter I A Retrospect Chapter II The Grim Struggle between Right and Wrong, and the Latter Carries the Day Chapter III The Natives' Land Act Chapter IV One Night with the Fugitives Chapter V Another ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

No, No, Nanette (1930 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Written by Howard Emmett Rogers Beatrice Van based on the play by Otto A. Harbach ... ... Distributed by First National Pictures: A Subsidiary of Warner Bros. ... ... Release dates February 16, 1930 (1930-02-16) ... ... Language English No, No, Nanette (1930) is an all-talking pre-code musica... ... English No, No, Nanette (1930) is an all-talking pre-code musical comedy film with Technicolor sequences produce... ... musical comedy film with Technicolor sequences produced and released by First National Pictures, a subsidiary of Warner Bros.. It was adapted from th... ... sequences produced and released by First National Pictures, a subsidiary of Warner Bros.. It was adapted from the play of the same title by Otto A. H... ...im in trouble. He enlists his lawyer friend Bill (Bert Roach) to help him discreetly ease the girls out of his life. Sue and Billy's wife, Lucille (Li... ... Woman Hungry (1931) Party Husband (1931) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Contemporary Danish Prose

By: Various

... Library, Public Access Collection. http://worldLibrary.net - To download the PDF version of this document become a member of the World eBook Library... ... Access Collection. http://worldLibrary.net - To download the PDF version of this document become a member of the World eBook Library Consortia and g... ...a member of the World eBook Library Consortia and gain unlimited access to the enhanced PDF eBook Collection. Membership to the World eBook Library Co... ...ry Consortia is only $8.95 per year. Your $8.95 helps to support a variety of global literacy programs. 60,000 PDF eBooks and PDF eDocuments in 104 la... ... THE BOUNDARY • SPRING • THE TAILOR'S SUMMER • ADRIFT • THE FIRST PARTY • PEACE ON EARTH, GOODWILL TO MEN • FUJIYAMA • THE KNIGHTS OF R... ... • THE SCHOOL-TEACHER AND HIS FAMILY TAKE A SUMMER HOLIDAY BY THE SEA • LIFE'S GREAT MOMENTS • THE DREAMING CHILD • YOU AREN'T BIG ENOUGH • T... ... of the past and the present, interpreting their tragic-heroic attitude to life. It was in his own native region that Blicher made, as Walter Scott h... ...e thing which could not be doubted—it HAD been a wonderful day. THE FIRST PARTY BY KARIN MICHAELIS Translated By Ann And Peter Thornton Not to spill... ...s which have been published in English translation.) AAKJAER, JEPPE (1866-1930), poet, novelist and short story-writer. He is a Jutlander, descending...

...DANISH SHORT STORIES BY DR. F. J. BILLESKOV JANSEN Professor of Danish Literature in the University of Copenhagen. Among Danish short story writers there are six classic authors, six pillars of the art of narration, and all the contemporary short story writers whose dates are to be fou...

...· DANISH SHORT STORIES · INDOMITABILITY · THE GOOSE-HERD FROM BRAMSTRUP · ST. PETER AND MORDECAI · OFF FOR THE DAY · THE BOUNDARY · SPRING · THE TAILOR'S SUMMER · ADRIFT · THE FIRST PARTY · PEACE ON EARTH, GOODWILL TO MEN · FUJIYAMA · THE KNIGHTS OF RIND WELCOME A KI...

Read More
  • Cover Image

1930 in music

Encyclopedia Article

...            List of years in music       (table) ... ...921 . 1922 . 1923 . 1924 . 1925 . 1926 ... 1927 1928 1929 -1930- 1931 1932 1933 ... 1934 . 1935 . 1936 . 1937 . 1938 ... ...ents February 16 - Nicolas Slonimsky conducts the first performance of Charles Ives's Three Places in New England. ... ... February 16 - Nicolas Slonimsky conducts the first performance of Charles Ives's Three Places in New England. Feb... ...Ives's Three Places in New England. February 17 - The Technicolor musical film, The Vagabond King, is released. Dennis King r... ...ving Caesar m. Oscar Levant "The Little Things in Life" w.m. Irving Berlin "Little White Lies" w.m. ... ...songs The following songs achieved the highest sales in 1930 on the major record labels in the United States (i.e. Victor, Brunswic... ... From the musical film: It's a Great Life. February ... ...ie, Jeanette MacDonald and James Hall Life of the Party starring Winnie Lightner and Irene Delroy Th...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Contemporary Danish Prose

By: Joshua Hutchinson

...... ...ww.WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and... ...raphies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve th... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... .................................................................39 THE FIRST PARTY ...................................................................... ...OOL−TEACHER AND HIS FAMILY TAKE A SUMMER HOLIDAY BY THE SEA ...71 LIFE'S GREAT MOMENTS ..................................................... ...R THE DAY • THE BOUNDARY • SPRING • THE TAILOR'S SUMMER • ADRIFT • THE FIRST PARTY • PEACE ON EARTH, GOODWILL TO MEN • FUJIYAMA • THE KNIGHTS OF RIND ... ...USION • THE SCHOOL−TEACHER AND HIS FAMILY TAKE A SUMMER HOLIDAY BY THE SEA • LIFE'S GREAT MOMENTS • THE DREAMING CHILD • YOU AREN'T BIG ENOUGH • THE S... ...orks which have been published in English translation.) AAKJAER, JEPPE (1866−1930), poet, novelist and short story−writer. He is a Jutlander, descendi...

...Excerpt: DANISH SHORT STORIES BY DR. F. J. BILLESKOV JANSEN Professor of Danish Literature in the University of Copenhagen Among Danish short story writers there are six classic authors, six pillars of the art of narration, and all the contemporary short story writers whose dates are to be foun...

...Table of Contents: Contemporary Danish Prose, 1 -- Various, 1 -- DANISH SHORT STORIES, 2 -- INDOMITABILITY, 3 -- THE GOOSE?HERD FROM BRAMSTRUP, 8 -- ST. PETER AND MORDECAI, 10 -- OFF FOR THE DAY, 15 -- THE BOUNDARY, 24 -- SPRING, 2...

Read More
  • Cover Image

SS Morro Castle (1930)

Encyclopedia Article

...{ SS Morro Castle was a luxury ocean liner of the 1930s that was built for the Ward Line for runs between New York Cit... ...{ SS Morro Castle was a luxury ocean liner of the 1930s that was built for the Ward Line for runs between New York City a... ...{ SS Morro Castle was a luxury ocean liner of the 1930s that was built for the Ward Line for runs between New York City and H... ...s built for the Ward Line for runs between New York City and Havana, Cuba. The Morro Castle was named for the Morro Castle fortress that guards the en... ...rro Castle fortress that guards the entrance to Havana Bay. On the morning of 8 September 1934, en route from Havana to New York, the ship caught fire... ...Dry Dock Company, work was begun on Morro Castle in January 1929. In March 1930 Morro Castle was christened, followed in May by her sister ship Orient... ...ordable and (more importantly) legal means of enjoying a non-stop drinking party. However, their reasonable rates also attracted Cuban and American bu... ... Captain Warms attempted to beach the ship, but the growing need to launch lifeboats and abandon ship forced him to give up this strategy. Within 20&n... ...dibly brave as they tried to fight the fire. Others tossed deck chairs and life rings overboard to provide persons in the water with makeshift flotati...

Read More
  • Cover Image

A Doc Savage Adventure : The Black Spot

By: Kenneth Robeson

...THE BLACK SPOT by KENNETH ROBESON THE BLACK SPOT A Doc Savage Adventure by Kenneth Robeson Copyright © 2002 A... ... Library, Public Access Collection. http://worldLibrary.net - To download the PDF version of this document become a member of the World eBook Library... ... Access Collection. http://worldLibrary.net - To download the PDF version of this document become a member of the World eBook Library Consortia and g... ...ry Consortia is only $8.95 per year. Your $8.95 helps to support a variety of global literacy programs. 60,000 PDF eBooks and PDF eDocuments in 104 la... ...ATHERS DIES • Chapter XX. MURDER INVITATIONS • Chapter XXI. THE MURDER PARTY Scanned and Proofed by Tom Stephens Chapter I. DEATH’S REVELRY ANDR... ... few pieces of silver weighting them down. Because of the character of the party, guards were everywhere. The guns in their low-slung holsters had the... ...e this? The hour makes no difference. I shall wait here. It is a matter of life and death. I may not even be alive when you arrive. If anything has ha... ...hat it was not intended to kill Mathers, was plain enough. If the broker’s life was threatened, then why had he been spared this time? Mathers made hi... ...uainted with General Manager Congdon and got my first job with him back in 1930." "Hope you’re able to be out in a few days," said Doc. "Let me know i...

...Chapter I. SWAMP TERROR A CAMP cook was the first to disappear. Nothing much was thought of that. The cook was believed to have a weakness for swamp corn. It was decided he had been the victim of an accident. That he probably had stepped into a sink-hole in the dar...

...· Chapter I. DEATH’S REVELRY · Chapter II. HANDS IN THE DARK · Chapter III. THE DEATH TRAP · Chapter IV. THE DEATH FEAR · Chapter V. MORE BLACK BLOOD · Chapter VI. THE RIVER BURNS · Chapter VII. THE ABDUCTED BODY · Chapter VIII. MESSAGE IN FIRE · Chapter IX. MURDER EXPECTED · ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Based on All Quiet on the Western Front  by Erich Maria Remarque ... ... August 24, 1930 (1930-08-24) (US[1]) ... ... $3,000,000[4] (rentals) All Quiet on the Western Front is a 1930 American epic war film based on the Erich Maria... ...) All Quiet on the Western Front is a 1930 American epic war film based on the Erich Maria Remarque novel of the ... ...t is a 1930 American epic war film based on the Erich Maria Remarque novel of the same name. It was directed by Lewis Milestone, and stars Louis Wolhe... ...Quiet on the Western Front is considered a realistic and harrowing account of warfare in World War I, and was named #54 on the AFI's 100 Years... 100 ... ...s that he's carrying a corpse. He is scolded by Katczinsky for risking his life. When the truck arrives in the morning most of the unit has survived. ... ...its anti-war and perceived anti-German messages, Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party banned the film from Germany in the 1930s and early 1940s. During its... ...ners My Life with Caroline ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Black Spot

By: Kenneth Robeson

... Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: THE BLACK SPOT, A DOC SAVAGE ADVENTURE Author: KENNETH ROBESON Language: ... ...... ...ww.WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and... ...raphies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve th... .................................................91 Chapter XXI. THE MURDER PARTY ...................................................................... ...R. MATHERS DIES • Chapter XX. MURDER INVITATIONS • Chapter XXI. THE MURDER PARTY • Scanned and Proofed by Tom Stephens THE BLACK SPOT 1 Chapter I.... ...ve this? The hour makes no difference. I shall wait here. It is a matter of life and death. I may not even be alive when you arrive. If anything has... ... That it was not intended to kill Mathers, was plain enough. If the broker’s life was threatened, then why had he been spared this time? Mathers made... ...uainted with General Manager Congdon and got my first job with him back in 1930." "Hope you’re able to be out in a few days," said Doc. "Let me kno...

... exclusive Westchester hills. Their conduct was as incongruous as their queer clothing. Andrew Podrey Vandersleeve was not perturbed by all this. For the master of several millions was very dead. He sat at his ornate mahogany desk with his arms sprawled. Blood black as ink had flowed from his aristocratic veins. The Vandersleeve guests enjoyed themselves in unseemly fashio...

...Table of Contents: THE BLACK SPOT, 1 -- A Doc Savage Adventure by Kenneth Robeson, 1 -- Chapter I. DEATH?S REVELRY, 2 -- Chapter II. HANDS IN THE DARK, 7 -- Chapter III. THE DEATH TRAP, 11 -- Chapter IV. THE DEATH FEAR, 17 -- Chapt...

Read More
  • Cover Image

List of American films of 1930

Encyclopedia Article

...elp by . Cinema of the United States ... ... Cinema of the United States ... ... 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930s 1930 1931 1932 1933 19... ... A list of American feature films released in 1930. All Quiet on the Wester... ... A list of American feature films released in 1930. All Quiet on the Western Front won the Academy Award for Best Picture ... ...edy The Life of the Party Roy Del Ruth ... ... The Life of the Party Roy Del Ruth ... ...Musical Party Girl Victor Halperin ... ... Thus is Life George Crone ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Path of Splitness

By: Indrek Pringi

... By Indrek Pringi Library of Congress Txu 987-756 Copyright January 29th 2001 Canadian Copyri... ...ht January 29th 2001 Canadian Copyright: 1072425 Nov 12 th 2009 Due to the ideas presented in this book, I have had to use various terms and ... ...e various terms and words that are not found in dictionaries: beginning with the title. The word: ‘Splitness’ is used to describe two complimentar... ...ns: Connection, and Separation. This book explores the logical extrapolation of this, and other Dynamics. My challenge to the reader is simple. ... ...se came into being. Chapter 2: Life Pgs 113-131 Structural Dynamics of the Universe and... ............................................................. 104 Chapter Two: Life The basic structural dynamics of the Universe. Pg 113 The Tr... ...with the exception of the new recruits who had not yet taken part in a raiding party, or frequented a whore yet: literally all of Napoleon’s soldiers... ...indlessly abiding by the civilized laws and regulations, you yourself become a party to every corruption of that system. Thoreau insisted that in or... ...sily ignored Rachel Carlson’s one small bit of scientific research back in the 1930’s and 40’s. But here is the damning irony and hypocrisy, and cr...

...The Path of Splitness is a major non fiction work of 1,868 pages: This is the latest revised version. The book analyzes and explains: 1: The origins of our Universe: where it came from and how it was created. 2: Basic ...

...Chapter 1: The Universe. Pgs 1-112 How the Universe came into being. Chapter 2: Life Pgs 113-131 Structural dynamics of the Universe and Life Chapter 3: Hominids Pgs 132-187 A: How we evolved into Humans ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

It's a Wonderful Life

Encyclopedia Article

... Based on "The Greatest Gift"  by Philip Van Doren Stern ... ... $3,300,000[2] It's a Wonderful Life is a 1946 American Christmas fantasy comedy-drama film produced and di... ...s fantasy comedy-drama film produced and directed by Frank Capra, based on the short story "The Greatest Gift", which Philip Van Doren Stern wrote in ... ...in 1939 and published privately in 1945.[3] The film is now considered one of the most popular films in American cinema and due to numerous television... ... The film stars Christmas Eve brings about the intervention of his guardian angel, Clarence Odbody (Henry Travers). Clarence shows Geor... ...ers). Clarence shows George all the lives he has touched and how different life in his community of Bedford Falls would be had he never been born. ... ...e where Uncle Billy gets drunk at Harry and Ruth's welcome home/newlyweds' party, George points him in the right direction home. As the camera focuses... ... George and Mary dancing at the Bedford Falls High graduation party, unaware that the gymnasium's floor covering the swimming pool is slo... ... Ladies of Leisure (1930) Ma...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Common Reader Second Series

By: Virginia Woolf

...iterature Collection World Public Library.org SECOND SERIES Title: THE COMMON READER, SECOND SERIES Author: VIRGINIA WOOLF Language: English ... ...... ....WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and o... ...phies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the ... ... must be generally decided all claim to poetical honours."--DR. JOHNSON, Life of Gray, CONTENTS THE STRANGE ELIZABETHANS DONNE AFTER THR... ... TWO PARSONS-- I. JAMES WOODFORDE II. JOHN SKINNER DR. BURNEY'S EVENING PARTY JACK MYTTON DE QUINCEY'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY FOUR FIGURES-- I. COWPE... ...intelligible; our fancy picture of what it pleases us to call Elizabethan life would rouse their ribald merriment. Still, the instinct that drives u... ... blindness of his own generation. Our reading will be equally partial. In 1930 we shall miss a great deal that was obvious to 1655; we shall see som... ...d possessions of our imaginations. A game at cards or a summer's boating party upon the Thames has power to suggest the same beauty and the same se...

...Excerpt: ... I rejoice to concur with the common reader; for by the common sense of readers, uncorrupted by literary prejudices, after all the refinements of subtilty and the dogmatism of learning, must be generally decided all claim to poetical honours.--DR. JOH...

Read More
  • Cover Image

National Fascist Party

Encyclopedia Article

... Succeeded by Republican Fascist Party Headquarters ... ...sp;    Black Party flag ... ... Politics of Italy Political parties Elections ... ...olitical parties Elections The National Fascist Party (Partito Nazionale Fascista, PNF) was an Italian... ...cista, PNF) was an Italian political party, created by Benito Mussolini as the political expression of fascism (previously represented by groups known... ...n political party, created by Benito Mussolini as the political expression of fascism (previously represented by groups known as Fasci; see also Itali... ...hite supremacy of Italian settlers in the colonies. In 1930 came the Youth Fasces of Combat. The 1930s were characterized by the s... ... My Life ... ... My Life ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Autobiography of a Yogi

By: Paramhansa Yogananda

... Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI Author: PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA Language: English Subject: Fictio... ...... ...ww.WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... .........................................3 CHAPTER 1. MY PARENTS AND EARLY LIFE ....................................................................... ...S .........................................179 CHAPTER 35. THE CHRISTLIKE LIFE OF LAHIRI MAHASAYA ................................................. ...familial warmth. But I knew I would never abandon the quest for my guru. Our party entrained for Benares. There I had a singular and instant response ... ...two days after my miraculous recovery from Asiatic cholera. That evening our party of six entrained for the north. Our first leisurely stop was at Sim... ..., she for God in him.” {FN31−2} The venerable mother passed on at Benares in 1930. {FN31−3} Staff, symbolizing the spinal cord, carried ritually by ce...

...Preface: By W. Y. EVANS?WENTZ, M.A., D.Litt., D.Sc. Jesus College, Oxford; Author of The TIBETAN BOOK OF THE DEAD, TIBET?S GREAT YOGI MILAREPA, TIBETAN YOGA AND SECRET DOCTRINES, etc. The value of Yogananda?s AUTOBIOGRAPHYis greatly enhanced by the fact that it is one of the few books in English about the ...

...Table of Contents: Autobiography of a Yogi, 1 -- Paramhansa Yogananda, 1 -- Preface, 2 -- AUTHOR'S Acknowledgments, 3 -- Chapter 1. MY PARENTS AND EARLY LIFE, 3 -- Chapter 2. MY MOTHER'S DEATH AND THE MYSTIC AMULET, 10 -- Chapter 3...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Art film

Encyclopedia Article

...Carl Theodor Dreyer, pictured here in 1965, directed the 1928 film The Passion of Joan of Arc, which is widely regarded as a lan... ... Theodor Dreyer, pictured here in 1965, directed the 1928 film The Passion of Joan of Arc, which is widely regarded as a landmark of cinema. ... ...n art film (also known as art movie, specialty film, art house film, or in the collective sense as art cinema) is typically a serious, independent fil... ...ments, a social realism style, an emphasis on the authorial expressiveness of the director and a focus on the thoughts and dreams of characters, rathe... ...1.1 Antecedents: 1910–1920s 1.2 1930s–1950s 1.3 1960s–1970s ... ...rde creators, such as Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí (e.g., L'Age d'Or from 1930), and by the French playwright and filmmaker Jean Cocteau (e.g., The B... ...an would direct Brief Encounter, an adaptation of Noël Coward's play Still Life, which observes a passionate love affair between an upper class man an... ... medical doctor and professor whose nightmares lead him to re-evaluate his life, and The 400 Blows (1959) by François Truffaut, whose main character i... ...s Beach party Bl...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Autobiography of a Yogi

By: Paramhansa Yogananda

...iterature Collection World Public Library.org Title: AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI Author: PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA Language: English Subject: Fiction,... ...... ....WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and o... ..., and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educators ... ...-WENTZ List of Illustrations Chapter 1. My Parents and Early Life 2. Mother's Death and the Amulet 3. The Saint with Two Bodies ... ...India 34. Materializing a Palace in the Himalayas 35. The Christlike Life of Lahiri Mahasaya 36. Babaji's Interest in the West 37. I Go to... ...l warmth. But I knew I would never abandon the quest for my guru. Our party entrained for Benares. There I had a singular and instant response t... ...ys after my miraculous recovery from Asiatic cholera. That evening our party of six entrained for the north. Our first leisurely stop was at Siml... ... for God in him." {FN31-2} The venerable mother passed on at Benares in 1930. {FN31-3} Staff, symbolizing the spinal cord, carried ritually by ...

This document contains illustrations such as Frontispiece; My Father, Bhagabati Charan Ghosh; and Swami Pranabananda, The Saint With Two Bodies.?

...Contents Preface, By W. Y. EVANS-WENTZ List of Illustrations Chapter 1. My Parents and Early Life 2. Mother's Death and the Amulet 3. The Saint with Two Bodies (Swami Pranabananda) 4. My Interrupted Flight Toward the Himalaya 5. A Perfume Saint Performs his Wonders 6. ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Silent film

Encyclopedia Article

...Scene from the 1921 Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, one of the highest-grossing silent films. ... ...Scene from the 1921 Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, one of the highest-grossing silent films. ... ...lms. The iconic clock scene from Safety Last! (1923) ... ...ogue is transmitted through muted gestures, mime and title cards. The idea of combining motion pictures with recorded sound is nearly as old as film i... ...rity of the benshi was one reason why silent films persisted well into the 1930s in Japan. Few film scores survive intact from thi... ...rs such as John Griffith Wray required their actors to deliver larger-than-life expressions for emphasis. As early as 1914, American viewers had begun... ...ction speed of 24 frames per second (fps) for sound films between 1926 and 1930, silent films were shot at variable speeds (or "frame rates") anywhere... ...which started as an homage to Laurel and Hardy then evolved to incorporate life-sized silent film sequences of Sobelle and Lyford who jump back and fo... ...s Beach party Bl...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Turkey : A Country Study

By: Louis R. Mortimer

...... ...ww.WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and... ...raphies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve th... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... ...............................................166 Social Democratic Populist Party ...................................................................... ....................................................................168 Welfare Party ...................................................................... ...ism in ways the republic's founders could not have imagined in the 1920s and 1930s. Although the republic emerged through the work and effort of many ... ...ncepts of being a subject or a citizen, from birth to death, most aspects of life were influenced and regulated by Islamic tenets, precepts, and laws.... ...es's Nationalist Action Party (Milliyetçi Hareket Partisi—MHP). As political life became increasingly tense, offshoots of these political groups fough...

...Foreword: This volume is one in a continuing series of books prepared by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress under the Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the Department of the Army. The last two pages of this book list the other published s...

...Table of Contents: Turkey: A Country Study, 1 -- Federal Research Division, 1 -- Foreword, 3 -- Preface, 4 -- Country, 5 -- Transportation and Telecommunications, 5 -- Introduction, 6 -- Ancient Anatolia, 14 -- Greeks, 15 -- Sultan...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Film noir

Encyclopedia Article

...Two silhouetted figures in The Big Combo (1955). The film's cinematographer was John Alton, the creato... ...e Big Combo (1955). The film's cinematographer was John Alton, the creator of many of film noir's stylized images. ... ...ywood's classical film noir period is generally regarded as extending from the early 1940s to the late 1950s. Film noir of this era is associated with... ...ly regarded as extending from the early 1940s to the late 1950s. Film noir of this era is associated with a low-key black-and-white visual style that ... ...a hapless grifter (Night and the City), a law-abiding citizen lured into a life of crime (Gun Crazy), or simply a victim of circumstance (D.O.A.). Alt... ...e fatale, in a publicity shot for Josef von Sternberg's melodrama Morocco (1930) Film noir's ... ...ost foul. Donald Marshman, Life (August 25, 1947)[45] Most of the films noi... ...98) and Silver and Ward (1992), for instance, include Slightly Scarlet and Party Girl, but not Vertigo, in their filmographies. By contrast, Hirsch (2... ..."richly, demonstrably noir" (p. 139) and ignores both Slightly Scarlet and Party Girl; Bould (2005) similarly includes Vertigo in his filmography, but...

Read More
  • Cover Image

National Heritage Fellowships

...1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W . W ashington, D.C. 20506-0001 www.arts.gov The National Endowment for the Arts enriches our nation and its diverse cu... ...enriches our nation and its diverse cultural heritage by supporting works of artistic excellence, advancing learning in the arts, and strengthening t... ...heritage by supporting works of artistic excellence, advancing learning in the arts, and strengthening the arts in communities throughout the country... ...osby; Storyteller figurine by Helen Cordero, 1986 Fellow– –photo courtesy of Helen Cordero; Carnaval mask by Juan Alindato, 1987 Fellow– –photo court... ...o W ashington, DC, to participate in ceremonies recognizing the musician’s lifelong contribution to his unique blend of Creole, French, and African-Am... ... a penknife, handsaw , and sandpaper to make his figures. “It’s part of my life, and part of my name…I’m a sixth-generation santero,” he said, “but I ... ...id. “I liked to see sparks and the fire, and hear the hammer ring.” In the 1930s, he became a full-fledged blacksmith and began to turn his attention ... ...tricted hunting) created a demand for large numbers of these lures. By the 1930s, the W ard brothers had brought the distinctive Crisfield decoy type—... ..., a staff member at the U.S. Embassy heard him playing at a Fourth of July party and encouraged him to perform in the United States. Dlaikan first cam...

...Excerpt: The National Endowment for the Arts enriches our nation and its diverse cultural heritage by supporting works of artistic excellence, advancing learning in the arts, and strengthening the arts in communities throughout the co...

...Table of Contents: NATIONAL HERITAGE FELLOWS -- (by year awards given) -- 1982, 4 -- 1983, 8 -- 1984, 12 -- 1985, 16 -- 1986, 18 -- 1987, 20 -- 1988, 22 -- 1989, 24 -- 1990, 26 -- 1991, 28 -- 1992, 30 -- 1993, 32 -- 1994, 34 -- 199...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Documentary film

Encyclopedia Article

...ary film is a nonfictional motion picture intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a hist... ... motion picture intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a historical record.[1] Such fil... ...ning a historical record.[1] Such films were originally shot on film stock—the only medium available—but now include video and digital productions tha... ... been described as a "filmmaking practice, a cinematic tradition, and mode of audience reception" that is continually evolving and is without clear bo... ...son's principles of documentary were that cinema's potential for observing life could be exploited in a new art form; that the "original" actor and "o... ... at variance with Soviet film-maker Dziga Vertov's provocation to present "life as it is" (that is, life filmed surreptitiously) and "life caught unaw... ...fenstahl's film Triumph of the Will (1935), which chronicled the 1934 Nazi Party Congress and was commissioned by Adolf Hitler. Leftist filmmakers Jor... ...er over Amsterdam; László Moholy-Nagy's Play of Light: Black, White, Grey (1930), in which he films one of his own kinetic sculptures, emphasizing not... ... Beach party ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Romania, A Country Study

By: Louis R. Mortimer

...... ...ww.WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and... ...raphies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve th... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... ......................................................................87 Family Life........................................................................ ........................................102 Dominance of the Romanian Communist Party....................................................................... ......................................................................142 Joint Party−State Organizations .................................................. ...mily • The Evolution of Family Law • Changes in Family Structure • Family Life • Women and Women's Organizations • The Education System • Admini... ... history of foreign domination had instilled in their countrymen. During the 1930s, these sentiments gave rise to the violently anti− Semitic and anti...

...Foreword: This volume is one in a continuing series of books prepared by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress under the Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the Department of the Army. The last two pages of this book list the other published s...

...Table of Contents: Romania, a country study, 1 -- Federal Research Division, 1 -- Foreword, 6 -- Preface, 6 -- GEOGRAPHY, 7 -- TRANSPORTATION AND COMMUNICATIONS, 7 -- NATIONAL SECURITY, 8 -- Chapter 1. Historical Setting, 8 -- The ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Fantasy film

Encyclopedia Article

... Fantasy films are films that belong to the fantasy genre with fantastic themes, usually involving magic, supernatu... ...magic, supernatural events, mythology, folklore, or exotic fantasy worlds. The genre is considered a form of speculative fiction alongside science fic... ...hology, folklore, or exotic fantasy worlds. The genre is considered a form of speculative fiction alongside science fiction films and horror films, al... ...films, although the genres do overlap. Fantasy films often have an element of magic, myth, wonder, escapism, and the extraordinary.[1] ... ... 1900-1920s 4.1 1930s 4.2 1940s 4.3 ... ...ommon, although films such as the 1991 Albert Brooks comedy Defending Your Life would likely qualify. Other uncommon subgenres include Historical Fant... ... Before 1930 1930s ... ...liday where Fredric March plays Death who takes a human body to experience life for three days, and 1937s Topper where a man is haunted by two fun lov... ...s Beach party Bl...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Dieselpunk Epulp Showcase : Volume 1

By: John W. Picha; Grant Gardiner

...WELCOME TO THE RETRO FUTURE When I started the Dieselpunks website years ago, the word “dieselpunk” was still a curiosity. Sure, it was loaded with familiar tropes like Pulp Adventure, Film Noir, and Weird Horror, but the artists we...

...THE 1920s. MID-WESTERN COMMONWEALTH, CHICAGO. “Well if it ain’t that then what was it?” “It was all those damn fool bankers in New York.” “Bankers?” “Yeah, bankers. They’re the ones who caused everything that’s ...

...Welcome to the Retro Future That Sort of World: A Tale of the Aether Age Pandora Driver: Who are the People in Your Neighborhood The Troubleshooter: What the Wise Man Says The World of Mañana: A Friend of Spirits Last Call...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Humoresque (film)

Encyclopedia Article

... $3,399,000 Humoresque is a 1946 Warner Bros. feature film starring Joan Crawford and John Ga... ...arring Joan Crawford and John Garfield in an older woman/younger man tale about a violinist and his patroness. The screenplay by Clifford Odets and Za... ...him for misunderstanding what a performing career would be like, and for thinking that music is no longer part of his life as he has lived with it for... ... misunderstanding what a performing career would be like, and for thinking that music is no longer part of his life as he has lived with it for too lo... ...ld be like, and for thinking that music is no longer part of his life as he has lived with it for too long. To the more sympathetic Sid Jeffers (Oscar... ...tic Sid Jeffers (Oscar Levant) he says he has always wanted to do the right thing, but has always been outside of himself looking in. He cannot get ba... ... A transition from his faltering first steps to being a gifted young violinist follows. On 15 October 1930, he overhears his father Rudy's di... ... He finds a job with locally broadcast orchestra in which Sid Jeffers is the pianist. At a party, Paul meets the hostess Helen Wri... ...playthings and is initially baffled by the strong-willed and independent Boray. After being rude to him at the party, she sends a golden cigarette cas...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Role of a Federal Arts Agency

By: Vance Jacobs

...National Endowment for the Arts How the United States Funds the Arts National Endowment for the Arts How the ... ...unds the Arts National Endowment for the Arts How the United States Funds the Arts October 2004 Published by National Endowment for the Arts Office... ...he Arts October 2004 Published by National Endowment for the Arts Office of Research and Analysis Mark Bauerlein, Director October 2004 Prepared by ... ... Mark Bauerlein, Director October 2004 Prepared by Tyler Cowen, Department of Economics, George Mason University, and the staff of the National Endowm... ...e usually members of civil service or political appointees from the ruling party. These systems provide smooth and stable planning for arts organizati... ...on Biddle, and Frank Hodsoll, the NEA slowly transformed American cultural life. It consciously created the vast system of regional theaters, opera ... ...ot very good in a particular year. Its mission is to improve our cultural life and heritage, not to take responsibility for America’s entire creative... ...s accounted for 40 percent of the funds available for museum building. By 1930, municipalities were spending $2.5 million a year on art museums. New ... ...ard of ten may not contain more than six members from any single political party. CPB provides funds to the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), Nationa...

...Excerpt: The role of a federal agency in funding the arts is often misunderstood--and for very good reasons. The American system of arts philanthropy is complex and ever changing. As Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, I ...

...Table of Contents: Preface by Dana Gioia, v -- I. Introduction, 1 -- II. Direct Public Support for the Arts, 3 -- III. Other Public Support for the Arts and Culture, 8 -- IV. Private Giving and Tax Incentives, 15 -- References, 23...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Kansas Republican Party

Encyclopedia Article

...The Kansas Republican Party is the state affiliate political party in Kansas of the United States Republi... ...The Kansas Republican Party is the state affiliate political party in Kansas of the United States Republican Party. The Kansas Republi... ... Kansas Republican Party is the state affiliate political party in Kansas of the United States Republican Party. The Kansas Republican Party organiz... ...filiate political party in Kansas of the United States Republican Party. The Kansas Republican Party organized in May 1859 and has been the dominant... ...y in Kansas of the United States Republican Party. The Kansas Republican Party organized in May 1859 and has been the dominant political party of Ka... ...ican Party organized in May 1859 and has been the dominant political party of Kansas ever since. Party structure The current Kansas Republican Part... ...tes of both parties. Optimism, prosperity and the new conservatives (1918–1930) Throughout the 1920s, Kansans held an optimistic belief that the mat... ... the 1920s, Kansans held an optimistic belief that the material aspects of life were steadily improving, evidenced by, for instance, higher incomes, h... ...2 legislators pushing for fiscal restraint. The second force, was the pro-life movement. In 1991, the pro-life movement showed its political power in...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Copyright Renewals 1957

By: Us Copyright Office

...... ....WorldLibrary.net is an effort to preserve and disseminate classic works of literature, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and o... ...phies, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the ... ..., and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educators ... ... ADAMS, FRANK R. King's crew. Installment 4. (In Redbook, Jan. 1930) © 10Dec29; B53038. Frank R. Adams (A); 11Jan57; R183975. ... ... SEE Oursler, Fulton. ARMSTRONG, HAMILTON FISH. Five generations: life and letters of an American family, 1750-1900. SEE Armstron... ... (A); 11Dec56; R182670. ARMSTRONG, MARGARET. Five generations: life and letters of an American family, 1750-1900. © 4Apr30; A2... ...May57; R192289. CROTHERS, SAMUEL MCCHORD. Miss Muffet's Christmas party. Anniversary ed. With foreword by Anne Carroll Moore. © o... ...Erle Stanley Gardner (A); 8Feb57; R186175-186176. The surprise party. (In Clues, Dec. 25, 1929) © 8Nov29; B53308. Erle Stanley...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Propaganda film

Encyclopedia Article

...The Why We Fight Series depicts the Nazi propaganda machine. A propaga... ... A propaganda film is a film that involves some form of propaganda. Propaganda films may be packaged in numerous ways, but are m... ...-style productions or fictional screenplays, that are produced to convince the viewer of a specific political point or influence the opinions or behav... ...uctions or fictional screenplays, that are produced to convince the viewer of a specific political point or influence the opinions or behavior of the ... ... is a unique medium in that it reproduces images, movement, and sound in a lifelike manner as it fuses meaning with evolvement as time passes in the s... ...produces a sense of immediacy.[6] Film’s ability to create the illusion of life and reality, opening up new, unknown perspectives on the world, is why... ....[9] Cannabis and hemp In the 1930s, anti-drug propaganda was exampled in such films as Reefer Madness (1... ...umph of the Will, a film commissioned by Hitler to chronicle the 1934 Nazi Party rally in Nuremberg. Despite its controversial subject, the film is st... ...s Beach party Bl...

Read More

|
|
|
|
Records: 1 - 40 of 2,054 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.