Records: 0 - 22 of 22 - Pages: 
  • Cover Image

The Stranger (1946 film)

Encyclopedia Article
Read More
  • Cover Image

Animal Heroes

By: Seton, Ernest Thompson, 1860-1946

...... ..., and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educators ... ...erve the public, aid students and educators by providing public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well a... ...out her. A negro was sitting idly on a box in a corner. He saw the little stranger enter and watched it curiously. It wandered past some Rabbits. Th... ...lar. The old iron-yard never had been home, she had always felt like a stranger there; but here she had a sense of ownership, and at once resente... ...ds. (Signed) THE CAPTAIN. This was rolled up, wrapped in waterproof film, addressed to the Steamship Company, and lashed to the under side of ... ...ould inspect him. One of his own Pigeons made momentary opposition to the stranger, and Arnaux, (c) 2002 All rights reserved worldwide by World...

...PREFACE: In this story I have endeavoured to realize some of the influences that surrounded the youth of America a hundred years ago, and made of them, first, good citizens, and, later, in the day of peril, heroes that won the battles of Lake Erie, Plattsburg, and New Orleans, and the ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Russia in the Shadows

By: Wells, Herbert George, 1866-1946

...Scenery in Petersburg: Site of a Demolished Wooden House. Frontispiece. Russia in the Shadows H. Q. Wells 17. s'. a 1 HODDER AND STOUGHTON LIMITED LO... ... Contents I. Petersburg in Collapse ... 9 II. Drift and Salvage . . . . 31 III. The Quintessence of Bolshevism . 59 IV. The Creative Effort in Russ... ...III. The Quintessence of Bolshevism . 59 IV. The Creative Effort in Russia . 87 V. The Petersburg Soviet ... .113 VI. The Dreamer in the Kremlin . . 1... ...d George, M. Millerand, and President Wilson in effigy. I not only saw a five-part film of this 80 Russia in the Shadows remarkable festival when I v... ...val when I visited the Petersburg Soviet, but, thanks to Zorin, I have brought the film back with me. It is to be administered with caution and to adu... ...ellaneous discontents their congress assembled. One item " featured " on this Baku film is a The Quintessence of Bolshevism 81 dance by a gentleman f... ...aurice Baring and one of the Bencken- "3 T U4 Russia in the Shadows dorffs to the strangers' gallery, which ran round three sides of the hall. There ... ...nctive feature of that scattered gathering. On this second visit we were no longer stranger onlookers, but active participants in the meeting ; we cam...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Animal Heroes

By: Seton, Ernest Thompson, 1860-1946

...... ..., and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educators ... ...erve the public, aid students and educators by providing public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well a... ...out her. A negro was sitting idly on a box in a corner. He saw the little stranger enter and watched it curiously. It wandered past some Rabbits. Th... ...lar. The old iron-yard never had been home, she had always felt like a stranger there; but here she had a sense of ownership, and at once resente... ...ds. (Signed) THE CAPTAIN. This was rolled up, wrapped in waterproof film, addressed to the Steamship Company, and lashed to the under side of ... ...ould inspect him. One of his own Pigeons made momentary opposition to the stranger, and Arnaux, sparring sidewise with an open wing in Pigeon style,...

...A hero is an individual of unusual gifts and achievements. Whether it be man or animal, this definition applies; and it is the histories of such that appeal to the imagination and to the hearts of those who hear them. In this volume every one of the stories, though more or less composite, is founded on the actual life of a veritable animal hero. ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

National Endowment for the Arts

By: James Bradley

...I National Endowment for the Arts National Endowment for the Arts Here is my father, I said. He is the most identifiable of the six... ...Here is my father, I said. He is the most identifiable of the six figures, the only one whose profile is visible. But for half a century he was almost... ..., on their first date. It was not until after his death that we learned of the Navy Cross. In his quiet humility he kept that from us.Why was he so si... ... the Overseas Press Club’s Hal Boyle Award and was made into a blockbuster film. His magazine article “Finders Keepers” was made into the movie Money ... ...— the military. Many of Clancy’s novels have been adapted into blockbuster films, including The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Presen... ... the University of Iowa in 1983. His poetry collections include Saints and Strangers (1985), which was short- listed for the Pulitzer Prize; After the... ...e she was born. In 1989, the novel was adapted into a critically acclaimed film directed by Norman Jewison and starring Bruce Willis. Mason’s other bo... ...tional Endowment for the Arts Marilyn Nelson B orn in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1946, Marilyn Nelson was raised on military bases, and as a poet devel- ope...

...Excerpt: Here is my father, I said. He is the most identifiable of the six figures, the only one whose profile is visible. But for half a century he was almost completely silent about Iwo Jima.To his wife of forty-seven years he spoke about it only once, on their fir...

...Table of Contents: Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience, iv -- Writers participating in base workshops -- Richard Bausch, 1 -- Mark Bowden, 2 -- Tom Clancy, 3 -- Judith Ortiz Cofer, 4 -- Joe Haldeman, 5 -- Barry Hannah, 6 -- Victor Davis Hanson, 7 -- Andrew ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The History Guide

...E HISTORY GUID, LECTURES ON Welcome to The History Guide's Lectures on Modern European Intellectual History: Abela... ...ellectual History: Abelard to Nietzsche. These lectures were written over the past five years and served as the basis for my upper division European ... ...University (Boca Raton and Davie, FL) and Meredith College (Raleigh, NC). The lectures presented here are between five and ten pages in length and ar... ...ellectual Adventure of Ancient Man (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1946), pp. 4-6.] | Return to the Lecture | | The History Guide | Feedback |... ... herself a captive, and her son dependent for his bread on the charity of strangers. When Achilles and the Greeks had taken their revenge on the kil... ...taken up. The funeral is accompanied by any that will, whether citizen or stranger; and the women of their kindred are also by at the burial lamenti... ... purpose in hand and profitable to the whole company, both of citizens and strangers, to hear related. 37. “We have a form of government not fetched... ... photographic facsimile of the third edition corrected. 3 vols. (Toronto, 1946), hereafter cited as Political Justice. Volumes 1 and 2 are reproduct... ...(abridged); Salt, 2nd ed.: 1929; Tokyo: 1930; Buenos Aires: 1945; Toronto: 1946; Oxford: 1971 (abridged); New York: 1976 (Isaac Kramnick edition). Se...

...mething new which changes me. I have no authority to be believed, nor do I want it, feeling myself too ill-instructed to instruct others. (Montaigne) The History Guide has been created for the high school and undergraduate student who is either taking classes in history, or who intends to major in history in college. The purpose of The History Guide is to better prepare yo...

...TABLE OF CONTENTS Lecture 1: Modern European Intellectual History: An Introduction Lecture 2: The Medieval World View (1) Lecture 3: The Medieval World View (2) Lecture 4: The Medieval Synthesis and the Renaissance Discovery of Man Lecture 5: The Medieval Synthesis Under Attack: Savonarola and the Protestant Reformati...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Contemporary Danish Prose

By: Joshua Hutchinson

...... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... ... serve the public, aid students and educators by providing public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well... ...ll over his mouth and was stained at the ends with tobacco. We were complete strangers to each other. Briskly, with a touch of the dashing pedagogue a... ...y been on their guard and had met both kindness and harshness on the part of strangers with the same mistrust which was born and bred in them; and the... ...TS OF RIND WELCOME A KINSMAN 53 curling from his nostrils. Apparently this stranger is a peaceful visitor, and he advances peacefully himself, but b... ...e. My Life in the Frozen North (1936), It's All Adventure (1938), White Man (1946), The Law of Larion (1952), Vagrant Viking. My Life and Adventures (... ..., 1954); three collections of short stories, Tornebusken ("The Thorn Bush"), 1946, Agerhonen ("The Partridge"), 1947. and Sankt Hans Aften ("Midsummer... ...940), DROTTEN ("The King"), 1943, RIGETS ARVING ("The Heir of the Kingdom"), 1946, AF BLOD ER DU KOMMET ("Blood Thou Art"), 1951, ATTER DET SKILTE− −(...

...Excerpt: DANISH SHORT STORIES BY DR. F. J. BILLESKOV JANSEN Professor of Danish Literature in the University of Copenhagen Among Danish short story writers there are six classic authors, six pillars of the art of narration, and all the contemporary short story writers whose dates are to be found at the end of this boo...

...Table of Contents: Contemporary Danish Prose, 1 -- Various, 1 -- DANISH SHORT STORIES, 2 -- INDOMITABILITY, 3 -- THE GOOSE?HERD FROM BRAMSTRUP, 8 -- ST. PETER AND MORDECAI, 10 -- OFF FOR THE DAY, 15 -- THE BOUNDARY, 24 -- SPRING, 29 -- THE TAILOR'S SUMMER, 34 -- ADRIFT, 39 -- THE FIRST PARTY, 47 -- PEACE ON EARTH, GOODWILL TO MEN, 49 --...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Contemporary Danish Prose

By: Various

... Library, Public Access Collection. http://worldLibrary.net - To download the PDF version of this document become a member of the World eBook Library... ...a member of the World eBook Library Consortia and gain unlimited access to the enhanced PDF eBook Collection. Membership to the World eBook Library Co... ... text to speak. Let your computer read to you. Join now and gain access to the world's largest PDF eBook Collection (60,000+ and growing daily). To j... ... over his mouth and was stained at the ends with tobacco. We were complete strangers to each other. Briskly, with a touch of the dashing pedagogue ab... ...been on their guard and had met both kindness and harshness on the part of strangers with the same mistrust which was born and bred in them; and they ... ...ng brows, long black hairs grow curling from his nostrils. Apparently this stranger is a peaceful visitor, and he advances peacefully himself, but bat... ... My Life in the Frozen North (1936), It's All Adventure (1938), White Man (1946), The Law of Larion (1952), Vagrant Viking. My Life and Adventures (19... ...1954); three collections of short stories, Tornebusken ("The Thorn Bush"), 1946, Agerhonen ("The Partridge"), 1947. and Sankt Hans Aften ("Midsummer E... ...0), DROTTEN ("The King"), 1943, RIGETS ARVING ("The Heir of the Kingdom"), 1946, AF BLOD ER DU KOMMET ("Blood Thou Art"), 1951, ATTER DET 191 SKILTE-...

...DANISH SHORT STORIES BY DR. F. J. BILLESKOV JANSEN Professor of Danish Literature in the University of Copenhagen. Among Danish short story writers there are six classic authors, six pillars of the art of narration, and all the contemporary short story writers whose dates are to be found at the end of this bo...

...· DANISH SHORT STORIES · INDOMITABILITY · THE GOOSE-HERD FROM BRAMSTRUP · ST. PETER AND MORDECAI · OFF FOR THE DAY · THE BOUNDARY · SPRING · THE TAILOR'S SUMMER · ADRIFT · THE FIRST PARTY · PEACE ON EARTH, GOODWILL TO MEN · FUJIYAMA · THE KNIGHTS OF RIND WELCOME A KI...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Hunted (film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Hunted (a.k.a. The Stranger In Between) ... ... Hunted (a.k.a. The Stranger In Between) ... ...ction company Independent Artists British Film Makers ... ... Distributed by General Film Distributors ... ... Language English Hunted (U.S. The Stranger In Between) is a black-and... ... Language English Hunted (U.S. The Stranger In Between) is a black-and-whi... ...s a black-and-white British film directed by Charles Crichton and released in 1952. Hunted is a crime drama in the form of a chase film, starring Dirk... ... And Then There Were None (1946) ... ... Ady Kiraly Katonat! (1983) Stranger Than Paradise (1984) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Retief!

By: Keith Laumer

... Retief! By Keith Laumer This is a work of fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this book are fictional, and any r... ... to real people or incidents is purely coincidental. Copyright © 2001 by the estate of Keith Laumer “Aide Memoire” was first published in IF, Jul... ...tate of Keith Laumer “Aide Memoire” was first published in IF, July, 1962. “The Brass God” (aka “Retief, God-Speaker”) was first published in IF, Jan... ...no cousin of mine,” Lemuel said. He stepped to Retief. “Who you spyin’ for, stranger?” he rasped. Retief got to his feet. “I think I should explain—... ...ght right that snapped him onto his back—out cold. “Wow!” said Potter. “The stranger took Lem . . . in two punches . . .” “One,” said Swazey. “That ... ... black to the cheekbone. He held out a raw-boned hand. “Sorry I jumped you, stranger. Tell you the truth, I thought you was some kind of stool-pigeon... ...herwell’s in a towering rage! The deposit on 2645-P; it was merely a surface film, barely a few inches thick! The entire deposit wouldn’t fill an ore... ...unts.” “Home . . . After nine years . . .” “I’d like to take a look at the films you mentioned,” Retief said. “The ones showing the installations on... ...ce in 1938; Stalin was at the mercy of the primitive atomics of the West in 1946; Leung was grossly over-extended at Rangoon. But the onus of that hi...

...Excerpt: Terry vs. Flap-jack ?let me congratulate you,? the voice said. Retief turned. An immense flap-jack, hung with crimson trappings, rippled at his side. ?your skirmish-forms fight well. I think we will find in each other worthy adversaries.?...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

By: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

...r Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Author: John Dickson Carr Language... ...... ...dias, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educat... ...accumulated at the time of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's death in 1930. But only in 1946 was it fully docketed and arranged. Therefore the biographer, most... ...ging world let you alone. To his family he was becoming a dreamy, long-bearded stranger, with exquisite manners and an unbrushed top-hat. Each day he ... ...ll. He ceased to be the nephew whom they had entertained so often; he became a stranger. Going back moodily to Edinburgh, recognizing that any outside... ...ved serialization would spoil it. After its publication when anyone, friend or stranger, wrote him in praise of A Duet, that letter he carefully treas... ...graph reproductions of novels/' when she wrote to him for advice about her own film-rights, but his first story to be filmed was Rodney Stone. The Los... ...y as ? 2 3 he had ramped through one of the best of all motion pictures in the film-version of The Lost World. "Conan Doyle is preaching! 7* exclaimed...

...st to last. Vincent Starrett This is a brilliant and Important biography. Exciting and provocative reading; romantic, challenging and humorous, it is the story of a truly fascinating figure, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. John Dickson Carr worked closely with the Conan Doyle family in. England from material that Conan Doyle left, including his correspondence which aver-; aged six...

...Table of Contents: FOREWORD ix -- I. HERITAGE: The Golden Leopards i -- II. ACADEMIC: Tlie Hidden Tutors 10 -- III. ADVENTURE: A Taste for Trouble 22 -- IV. MEDICAL: The Respectable Top-Hat. With Manuscripts 36 -- V. DISILLUSIONMENT: The Thinning of the Dreams 47 -- VI. S...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Fiddler Fair

By: Mercedes Lackey

... Fiddler Fair by Mercedes Lackey This is a work of fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this book are fictional, and any r... ... Christmas Ghosts, Mike Resnick, ed. (DAW 1993); “Small Print” in Deals with the Devil, Mike Resnick, ed. (DAW 1994); “The Cup and the Caldron,” in G... ...Martin Greenberg, ed. (Warner Aspect 1995); “Enemy of My Enemy,” Friends of the Horseclans, Robert Adams, ed. (NAL 1989) All rights reserved, incl... ...tise in racing. The announcement that the Indianapolis 500 would be held in 1946 had given those behind the project the incentive they needed to get... ...ce she was the driver. She handed her clipboard down to him, then noticed a stranger in their pit, wearing the appropriate pass around his neck. She ... ...t him. The cars pulled out of sight, and she jumped down off the wall. The stranger was still there—and the pits were for the first time today, qui... ...as the silence between incoming artillery barrages had— She headed for the stranger—but he was heading for her. “Miss Duncan?” he said quickly. “Jim... ...stards used to hack at one another with in the long-ago days that they made films of, there must have been as much harm done by breaking bones as by ...

... summer vacation and every other free minute for five straight years after any number of requests to put all our short stories together in one place, the idea began to take on some mer I t. When larry and I looked into the idea we discovered that we had a lot of other short fiction; about ten years? worth....

Read More
  • Cover Image

Hondo (film)

Encyclopedia Article

... 1953 film poster Dire... ...[2] Hondo is a Warnercolor 3D Western film made in 1953, starring John Wayne, directed by John Farrow. The screen... ...D Western film made in 1953, starring John Wayne, directed by John Farrow. The screenplay is based on the July 5, 1952 Collier's short story "The Gift... ...July 5, 1952 Collier's short story "The Gift of Cochise" by Louis L'Amour. The book Hondo was a novelization of the film also written by L'Amour, and ... ...ift of Cochise" by Louis L'Amour. The book Hondo was a novelization of the film also written by L'Amour, and published by Bantam Books in 1953.[3] ... ...ls his desire to confess to Johnny selfish, and asks to leave with him and the remains of a wagon train heading towards his farm that looks just like ... ...e (Geraldine Page) and her six year-old son Johnny (Lee Aaker) come upon a stranger (John Wayne) on foot coming towards their ranch, carrying only his... ... Two Years Before the Mast (1946) Ca...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Hacker Crackdown Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier

By: Bruce Sterling

... Classic Literature Collection World Public Library.org Title: THE HACKER CRACKDOWN Author: BRUCE STERLING Language: English Subject: Fic... ...... ..., and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educators ... ... a business card; this seemed a crass attempt to make the acquaintance of strangers. But phone access in America was to become a popular right; s... ... American middle-class in great armies: in 1891, eight thousand women; by 1946, almost a quarter of a million. Women seemed to enjoy telephone wor... ...cting calls, crossing lines so that customers found themselves talking to strangers, and so forth. This combination of power, technical mastery, ... ...vide users by status. On these boards, some users, especially beginners, strangers or children, will be restricted to general topics, and perhaps f... ...s an especially valuable source of data, as its long one-strike ribbon of film contained the contents of every letter mailed out of the house. The ...

...ticular case, however, it isn?t quite accurate. Bantam Books puts that disclaimer on every book they publish, but Bantam Books does not, in fact, own the electronic rights to this book. I do, because of certain extensive contract maneuverings my agent and I went through before this book was written. I want to give those electronic publishing rights away through certain not...

...CONTENTS Preface to the Electronic Release of The Hacker Crackdown Chronology of the Hacker Crackdown 2 Introduction Part 1: CRASHING THE SYSTEM A Brief History of Telephony Bell's Golden Vaporware Universal Service Wild Boys and Wire Women The ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Screaming Eagles (film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Screaming Eagles Original film poster ... ... English Screaming Eagles is a 1956 black-and-white World War II film directed by Charles F. Haas and re... ...War II film directed by Charles F. Haas and released by Allied Artists. It stars Tom Tryon, Jan Merlin and was the film debut of Jacqueline Beer a Fre... ...II film directed by Charles F. Haas and released by Allied Artists. It stars Tom Tryon, Jan Merlin and was the film debut of Jacqueline Beer a French ... ...erlin and was the film debut of Jacqueline Beer a French Miss Universe 1954 runner up. The story is set during the night of the Normandy Invasion wher... ...he story is set during the night of the Normandy Invasion where the 101st Airborne Division jumps into France. The title of the film refers to the nic... ... I See a Dark Stranger (1946) ... ... I See a Dark Stranger (1946) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Splendor (1935 film)

Encyclopedia Article

... English Splendor (1935) is a drama film starring Miriam Hopkins and Joel McCrea, produced by Samuel Goldwyn, a... ...el Goldwyn, and distributed by United Artists. This is the third film made by Hopkins and McCrea after The Richest Girl in the Wor... ... Hopkins and McCrea after The Richest Girl in the World and Barbary Coast. The two would also star together in These Three and Woman Chases Man. ... ... External links Splendor at the Internet Movie Database ... ... Welcome Stranger (1947) ... ... The Kid From Brooklyn (1946) Th... ... The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Th... ... Welcome Stranger (1947) ... ... The Kid From Brooklyn (1946) Th...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Time Flies (film)

Encyclopedia Article

... Times Flies is a 1944 British comedy film directed by Walter Forde and starring Tommy Handley, Eve... ... George Moon - Bill Barton Felix Aylmer - The Professor Moore Marriott - A Soo... ...516 External links Time Flies at the Internet Movie Database ... ... Films directed by Walter Forde ... ... What Next? (1928) The Silent House (1929) ... ...ound (1938) The Gaunt Stranger (1938) ... ... Films produced by Gainsborough Pictures ... ... Lady (1945) Caravan (1946) ... ...(1945) The Magic Bow (1946) ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Autobiography of a Yogi

By: Paramhansa Yogananda

...... ..., and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educators ... ...erve the public, aid students and educators by providing public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well a... ... from his body. "Without outcry or any glance at the ghastly wound, the stranger astonishingly continued his swift pace. As we jumped in front of ... ...ited conversation between the self-styled clairvoyant and myself, for the stranger called me to his side. I felt a tremendous power flowing from his... ... would be the last. "Young lads, do you have friends in Brindaban?" The stranger opposite me was taking a surprising interest. "None of your bu... ... From the dark booth of eternity, He pours His creative beam through the films of successive ages, and the pictures are thrown on the screen of spa... ... to peasant farmers). Mahatma Gandhi plans to visit the new ashram during 1946. {FN44-4} Miss Slade reminded me of another distinguished Western ...

This document contains illustrations such as Frontispiece; My Father, Bhagabati Charan Ghosh; and Swami Pranabananda, The Saint With Two Bodies.?

...Contents Preface, By W. Y. EVANS-WENTZ List of Illustrations Chapter 1. My Parents and Early Life 2. Mother's Death and the Amulet 3. The Saint with Two Bodies (Swami Pranabananda) 4. My Interrupted Flight Toward the Himalaya 5. A Perfume Saint Performs his Wonders 6. The Tiger Swami 7. The Levitating Saint (Nagendra Nath Bhaduri) 8. India's G...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Biography of a Rabbit

By: Roy Benson, Jr.

... Literature Collection World Public Library.org OF A RABBIT Title: THE BIOGRAPHY OF A RABBIT Author: ROY BENSON Language: English Subject: Fi... ...... ..., and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educators ... ...king and housekeeping. I can imagine what this did to my mother, having a stranger doing all the things she had done for so many years. I am not sur... ...here we worked was empty except for the three of us and a boss. Kodacolor film was being put on the market and the building was being set up for dev... ...een drafted then, there is no telling how far I might have gone. When the film started coming in Ray Smith was working on the floor above me and I w... ... the john with the door open. You can imagine his embarrassment when the stranger indicated he was in the wrong house. It was a wonder the owner di... ...th the machete knife, all my extra clothing and the undeveloped rolls of film I had taken in England were also included. I had so many good items ... ...h laughter. That came close to being my most embarrassing moment. From 1946 to 1950 the painting business was not very good and we had to save ...

...ttingbourne, England which is about fifty miles southeast of London. Sittingbourne is approximately thirty miles from Rochester, England. She came to the United States with her parents when she was three years old and settled on a farm in Seneca Castle (which is thirty miles from Rochester, New York). When my father was courting my mother he would walk to Canandaigua from ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Pakistan, A Country Study

By: Louis R. Mortimer

...... ...as, and other reference works in a number of languages and countries around the world. Our mission is to serve the public, aid students and educator... ... serve the public, aid students and educators by providing public access to the world's most complete collection of electronic books on-line as well... ... Theory” articulated by Muslim League leader Mohammad Ali Jinnah and others. 1946 August Muslim League observes “Direct Action Day.” Widespread commun... ...and impending doom, lamented that in life he “came alone” and would “go as a stranger.” In the century− and one−half that followed, effective control ... ...cess could be gauged from its sweep of 90 percent of the Muslim seats in the 1946 election, compared with only 4.5 percent in the 1937 elections. The ... ... that new elections be held. Congress and the Muslim League emerged from the 1946 elections as the two dominant parties, although the Muslim League ag... ...'s material culture in the 1990s: videocassette recorders (for playing Hindi films), locally manufactured Japanese Suzuki cars, and Kalashnikov rifles... ...dcast media. Women's subservience is consistently shown on television and in films. And, although popular television dramas raise controversial issues...

...Foreword: This volume is one in a continuing series of books prepared by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress under the Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the Department of the Army....

...ble A. Chronology of Important Events, 10 -- Introduction, 15 -- Chapter 1 Historical Setting, 24 -- EARLY CIVILIZATIONS, 25 -- ISLAM IN INDIA, 28 -- THE MUGHAL PERIOD, 28 -- COMPANY RULE, 31 -- THE BRITISH RAJ, 32 -- The Forward Policy, 33 -- The Seeds of Muslim Nationalism, 34 -- Beginnings of Self?Government, 36 -- The Two Nations Theory, 38 -- Toward Partition, 39 -- I...

Read More
  • Cover Image

The Sonnets

By: William Shakespeare

... SONNETS by WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 3 THE SONNETS by William Shakespeare From fairest creatures ... ...ire increase, That thereby beauty’s rose might never die, But as the riper should by time decease, His tender heir might bear his memor... ... Thy self thy foe, to thy sweet self too cruel: Thou that art now the world’s fresh ornament, And only herald to the gaudy spring, ... ...her own ears; she thought, I dare vow for her, they touch’d not any stranger sense. Her matter was, she loved your son. Fortune, she sai... ... I would not tell you what I would, my lord. Faith, yes: Strangers and foes do sunder and not kiss. BERTRAM. I pray you, stay n... ...n such as you speak to me. SECOND LORD. He must think us some band of strangers i’ th’ 207 adversary’s entertainment. Now he hath a ... ... That not your trespass but my madness speaks. It will but skin and film the ulcerous place, Whiles rank corruption, mining all within, ... ...r of the heavens, Look with a gentle eye upon this wretch! 1946 O, beat away the busy meddling fiend That lays strong sieg... ...moonshine’s wat’ry beams; Her whip, of cricket’s bone; the lash, of film; Her wagoner, a small grey-coated gnat, Not half so big ...

...mus. Scaena Prima. Enter Begger and Hostes, Christophero Sly. Begger. Ile pheeze you infaith Host. A paire of stockes you rogue Beg. Y’are a baggage, the Slies are no Rogues. Looke in the Chronicles, we came in with Richard Conqueror: therefore Paucas pallabris, let the world slide: Sessa Host. You will not pay for the glasses you haue burst? Beg. No, not a deniere: go by ...

Read More
  • Cover Image

Pyramid Scheme

By: Dave Freer and Eric Flint

... Scheme by Dave Freer and Eric Flint This is a work of fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this book are fictional, and any re... ...yright © 2001 by Dave Freer & Eric Flint All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce this book or portions thereof in any form. A Bae... ...813'.54—dc21 2001035798 Distributed by Simon & Schuster 1230 Avenue of the Americas New York, NY 10020 Production by Windhaven Press, Auburn, ... ...kly menacing death.' " He relaxed his professorial stance. "It's from the 1946 Rieu translation of the Odyssey. Consider that the hero's name was Od... ...hed. All the villagers shrieked in unison at the sudden appearance of the strangers. Previously indolent villagers moved with startling rapidity ins... ...iving it a rest. "We need to do something!" whispered Liz to Jerry. "Uh. Film it and make a fortune in the porno industry. I didn't think that posit...

...Excerpt: Prologue the new nesot (near earth space object tracking) satellite paid dividends less than three months after its launch. The computerized system spat a data stream on the incoming object to norad. It did this for any detected objec...

Read More

Records: 0 - 22 of 22 - Pages: 

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.