World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Maxine Elliott Theatre

Article Id: WHEBN0004528559
Reproduction Date:

Title: Maxine Elliott Theatre  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Albert H. Woods, Knickerbocker Theatre (Broadway), Broadway theatre, Orson Welles, Love O' Mike
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Maxine Elliott Theatre

The Maxine Elliott Theatre was a Broadway theater located at 109 West 39th Street in Manhattan. Built in 1908, it was demolished in 1960. The theater was designed by architect Benjamin Marshall of the Chicago firm Marshall and Fox.

It was named for Federal Theatre in 1936; the following year, it was shut down by the government during the Orson Welles's production of The Cradle Will Rock.

In 1941, it became a radio studio and in 1949, it again transformed into a television studio, where the very first Ed Sullivan Toast of the Town shows were broadcast from. In 1956, Elliott's heirs sold her share to the Shuberts, who then sold the property. It was demolished in 1960. The theatre, built in a thriving theatre district, was the only Broadway house below 41st Street.

The Maxine Elliot housed approximately 935 patrons. Throughout its lifetime, the Maxine Elliot housed a multitude of plays, including original works by John Millington Synge, Lady Augusta Gregory, Lord Dunsany, Lillian Hellman and Somerset Maugham. Only three of its productions were musicals, including one opera.

Notable productions

External links

  • Maxine Elliott Theatre at the Internet Broadway Database



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.