World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0000158974
Reproduction Date:

Title: Stockbroker  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Stock trader, Chris Gardner, Elisabeth Rivers-Bulkeley, The Share Centre, Broker
Collection: Business and Financial Operations Occupations, Financial Services, Investment, Occupations, Stock Market
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


A Bloomberg Terminal stockbroker with a multi-monitor workstation.
Names Stockbroker, Financial advisor
Occupation type
Activity sectors

A stockbroker is a regulated professional individual, usually associated with a brokerage firm or broker-dealer, who buys and sells stocks and other securities for both retail and institutional clients, through a stock exchange or over the counter, in return for a fee or commission. Stockbrokers are known by numerous professional designations, depending on the license they hold, the type of securities they sell, or the services they provide. In the United States, a stockbroker must pass both the Series 7 and either the Series 63 or the Series 66 exams in order to be properly licensed.


  • Educational requirements 1
  • Licensing and training requirements 2
    • Canada 2.1
    • Hong Kong 2.2
    • Singapore 2.3
    • United Kingdom 2.4
    • United States 2.5
  • Related professions 3
  • See also 4
  • References 5

Educational requirements

It is technically possible to become a stockbroker without a college education.[1][2] Perhaps the best known example of this is Chris Gardner upon whom the film The Pursuit of Happyness is based (although he had undergone education during his time in the Navy). His example is, however, an extremely rare event. For all practical purposes a stockbroker must have at least a bachelor's degree. Further, candidates that have a Masters of Finance or a master's degree in a related field are in higher demand and tend to receive higher compensation than bachelor's degree holders.[3] In addition to an education background in finance, brokerages must sponsor applicants in order for them to be able to take the required industry exams.

Licensing and training requirements


In Canada, a stockbroker is called a "Registered Representative" or an "Investment Advisor". To be licensed as a Registered Representative and thus qualified to offer investment advice and trade all instruments with the exception of derivatives, an individual employed by an investment firm must have completed the

  1. ^ "Sky Capital — The Low Bar Of Becoming A Stockbroker". Forbes. 2011-07-12. Retrieved 2014-07-11. 
  2. ^ "Training, Education and Stockbroker Jobs". Stockbroker 101. Retrieved 2014-07-11. 
  3. ^ "Training, Education and Stockbroker Jobs". Stockbroker 101. Retrieved 2014-07-11. 
  4. ^ "CSI Career Map - CSI Global Education". 2011-11-29. Retrieved 2012-10-16. 
  5. ^
  6. ^ "Continuing Education & Member Resources". Retrieved 2012-10-16. 
  7. ^
  8. ^ "List of Members - #". FINRA. Retrieved 2012-10-16. 
  9. ^ "Investor Information - Understanding Professional Designations – FINRA". Retrieved 2012-10-16. 


See also

The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) provides an online tool designed to help understand professional designations.[9]

Professional titles similar to that of stockbroker include investment advisor, and financial advisor. A "financial advisor" may or may not be a stockbroker, since some Series 6 licensed individuals—who are prohibited from selling stock—have that as their professional title. An "investment advisor", registered investment advisor, or investment advisor representative has training and capabilities similar to that of a stockbroker, but different licensing and different regulatory oversight. Many individuals hold both licenses, and might typically manage commission-based accounts as a stockbroker and fee-based accounts as an RIA investment advisor, or investment advisor representative (IAR).

Related professions

While the term "stockbroker" is still in use, more common terms are "broker", "financial advisor", "registered rep." or simply "rep." — the latter being abbreviations of the official Financial Industry Regulatory Authority[7] (FINRA) designation "Registered Representative," obtained by passing the FINRA General Securities Representative Exam (also known as the "Series 7 exam") and being employed ("associated with") a registered broker-dealer, also called a brokerage firm or (in the case of some larger money center broker/dealers) a "wirehouse", typically a FINRA member firm.[8] Other FINRA licenses or series exams exist. Individuals holding some of those licenses, such as the "Series 6", cannot be called stockbrokers since they are prohibited from selling stock and are not trained or licensed in the full array of capabilities of a Series 7 stockbroker (see list of securities examinations). Selling variable products (such as a variable annuity contract or variable universal life insurance policy) typically requires the broker to also have one or another state insurance department licenses.

United States

CFA UK also offers qualifications. It represents the interests of around 11,000 investment professionals and is part of the worldwide network of members of the CFA Institute.

  • CISI Level 4 Diploma in Investment Advice
  • CISI Level 7 Diploma in Wealth Management
  • The Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI) is the largest UK professional body for those who work in the securities and investment industry. It evolved from the London Stock Exchange, has around 40,000 members in over 100 countries and delivers more than 37,000 exams each year.

Qualifications include:

A number of qualifications are available and the one a trainee does will depend on their duties and their employer.

Stockbroking is a regulated profession in the UK and brokers must achieve a recognised qualification from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)'s Appropriate Qualifications list.

United Kingdom

In Singapore, becoming a trading representative requires passing 4 exams, Modules 1A, 5, 6 and 6A, from the Institute of Banking and Finance and applying for the license through MAS and SGX.


To become a representative one has to work for a licensed firm and pass 3 exams to prove one's competency. Passing a fourth exam results in obtaining a 'specialist' license. All tests can be taken with the HKSI. However, passing all tests doesn't result in automatically obtaining the license. It still needs to be approved by the financial regulatory body.

Hong Kong


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.