World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Samson (1860)

Article Id: WHEBN0012157838
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Samson (1860)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Samson, United States Ram Fleet, Rock of Etam, Hazelelponi, Samson Slaying a Philistine
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Samson (1860)

insertalttexthere
Ships in the foreground are: Monarch (letter "M" between stacks), Queen of the West (with letter "Q") and Lioness(letter "L"). In the left background are: Switzerland (with letter "S" on paddlebox), Samson and Lancaster are in the background.
History
(US)
Launched: 1860, at California, Pennsylvania
In service: 1862
Out of service: 1865
Struck: 1865 (est.)
Fate: sold, 9 August 1865
General characteristics
Displacement: 230 tons
Propulsion:
Armament: ram

USS Samson (1860) was a steamer acquired by the Union Army at the start of the American Civil War to serve with the ram fleet in the Mississippi River and its tributaries.

She was transferred to the Union Navy in 1862 who continued her service on the Mississippi River. She was used as a tugboat and as a ship’s tender which provided machine shop services to the ships in the fleet.

Civil War service

Under Union Army service

Samson, a wooden side wheel steamer built in 1860 at California, Pennsylvania, was purchased by the Union Army on 14 July 1862 for service in the Ellet ram fleet.

Service with the Union Navy

After the Western flotilla was placed under Navy command in the early autumn of 1862, Samson was transferred to the Union Navy on 27 November 1862. She served the Mississippi Squadron as a tugboat and a floating machine shop throughout the remainder of the Civil War. As such, she was one of the early predecessors of modern repair ships.

Post-war disposition and subsequent commercial career

After the end of hostilities, she was sold at public auction at Mound City, Illinois, to J. W. Clark and J. Nixon, et, al., on 9 August 1865. She was redocumented on 27 December 1865 and remained in merchant service until 1869.

See also

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.