Format Type: PDF eBook
File Size: 0.8 MB
Reproduction Date: 2005
Full Text

Title: Margaret Ogilvy  
Author: Barrie, James Matthew
Volume:
Language: English
Subject: Literature, Literature & thought, Writing.
Collections: Classic Literature Collection
Historic
Publication Date:
Publisher: World Ebook Library

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

Barrie, J. M. (n.d.). Margaret Ogilvy. Retrieved from http://community.schoollibrary.com/

Excerpt
CHAPTER I: - HOW MY MOTHER GOT HER SOFT FACE On the day I was born we bought six hair-bottomed chairs, and in our little house it was an event, the first great victory in a woman’s long campaign; how they had been laboured for, the pound- note and the thirty threepenny-bits they cost, what anxiety there was about the purchase, the show they made in possession of the west room, my father’s unnatural coolness when he brought them in (but his face was white) - I so often heard the tale afterwards, and shared as boy and man in so many similar triumphs, that the coming of the chairs seems to be something I remember, as if I had jumped out of bed on that first day, and run been to see how they looked. I am sure my mother’s feet were settling to be been long before they could be trusted, and that the moment after she was left alone with me she was discovered barefooted in the west room, doctoring a scar (which she had been the first to detect) on one of he chairs, or sitting on them regally, or withdrawing and re- opening the door suddenly to take the six by surprise.

Table of Contents
NA

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.