Language: English
Subject: Fiction, Poetry, Verse drama
Collections: Poetry Collection
Historic
Publication Date:
Publisher: World Public Library Association

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

Davies, S. J. (n.d.). From Nosce Teipsum. Retrieved from http://community.schoollibrary.com/

Description
Poetry

Excerpt
Excerpt: WHY did my parents send me to the schools // That I with knowledge might enrich my mind? // Since the desire to know first made men fools, // And did corrupt the root of all mankind. // For when God's hand had written in the hearts // Of the first parents all the rules of good, // So that their skill infused did pass all arts // That ever were, before or since the flood, // And when their reason's eye was sharp and clear, // And, as an eagle can behold the sun, // Could have approached th' eternal light as near // As the intellectual angels could have done, // Even then to them the spirit of lies suggests // That they were blind, because they saw not ill, // And breathes into their incorrupted breasts // A curious wish, which did corrupt their will. // For that same ill they straight desired to know; // Which ill, being nought but a defect of good, // And all God's works the devil could not show // While man their lord in his perfection stood. // So that themselves were first to do the ill, // Ere they thereof the knowledge could attain; // Like him that knew not poison's power to kill, // Until, by tasting it, himself was slain. // Even so by tasting of that fruit forbid, // Where they sought knowledge, they did error find; // Ill they desired to know, and ill they did, // And to give passion eyes, made reason blind. // For then their minds did first in passion see // Those wretched shapes of misery and woe, // Of nakedness, of shame, of poverty, // Which then their own experience made them know. // But then grew reason dark, that she no more // Could the fair forms of good and truth discern; // Bats they became, that eagles were before, // And this they got by their desire to learn. // But we, their wretched offspring, what do we? // Do not we still taste of the fruit forbid...

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from School eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.